1- Welcome to the Academy

Saturday, July 18th:

Banks Household (Dublin, Sarvalis) - Amelia Banks P.O.V.

I really stepped into it before school let out for the summer; a simple fan prank got out of control and now I've been grounded for pretty much the entire summer and it sucks. My parents saddled me with all the household chores that don't involve cooking or cleaning my parents' bedroom. "Get it done," my dad's voice echoes like an angry lion in heat; he was in the Navy before I came along so he's strict to the highest order. "I don't have all day Amelia!"

I quickly tie my blonde hair into a ponytail and rush downstairs. "I'm coming, Dad," I yell back carrying a broom and dustpan in my right hand and a trash bag in my left. It doesn't help that it's so damn hot even though I stand at 4'11" wearing these blue jean short shorts and a red tank top; my blonde hair is frazzled in its ponytail and I have these deep, dark ocean blue eyes. Sometimes I think he forgets that I'm only 11. I dispose of the trash bag before returning to him; he always wears a blue button-down shirt and khaki pants and boots. "I finished the upstairs."

My dad gets up and walks to the back door. "Now do the downstairs and when you're done, you can go outside for a while before it gets dark."

I crack a smile hearing that since I've been cooped up inside the entire summer break with nothing to do but hang with my parents; don't get me wrong, they're okay but it gets to be too much and I need my own friends. "Don't worry, Dad. I'll get it done."

30 Minutes Later:

I finish the last of my chores when I notice the mail at the front door. "Mail's here," I yell to my dad as I sort the pile seeing who has what regarding mail, bills, or junk mail. What catches my eye is the envelop on top of the stack is addressed to me and I never get any mail. "What's this," I read the letterhead and it's from a place called Delphora Academy, one of the twelve magical schools in Sarvalis. My mom has told me stories about that school and the fact that she went there; she's a witch but I'm not. "It's from the school my mom went to." I turn to my dad walking up to the door. "Hey Dad, what's the deal with this?"

My dad takes the envelop reading the return address. "This is for your mother to talk to you about later. Until then, just keep hold of it." He gives the letter back to me. "Have you finished all your chores?"

"Yes sir, I have unless there's something else I have to do."

"No, you're good."

15 Minutes Later:

The heat of the late July sun beats down on me and this crowded city that I live in making it unbearable to be outside for most people. I walk to Riverside Park, the one place in town where everyone can gather in peace although I see no point in being in 95 degrees of pure torture and it feels even hotter. I head for a covering where my six best friends, two guys and four girls, are sitting at one of the picnic tables. "Hey guys," I get their attention as I sit down next to them, "I finally got out of prison," I snicker at them referring to me being grounded.

Jolene Davis wraps me in this bear hug the second I sit down. "It's a good thing too," she releases me. We're both on the same youth track team as she's in her track shorts. She keeps her hair shoulder-length for reasons only she understands. "We just started talking about that prank we pulled before school let out for the summer."

I roll my eyes remembering that prank got me grounded for the entire summer. "That was fun but it didn't end too well for me. Otherwise, we would've had our next prank all set for the first day of school next month. Then again, maybe a hurricane in the hallway wasn't the best of ideas."