Chapter 10 - A Wedding

James

It felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest. I was getting married in under an hour. I looked in the mirror hanging on the wall of my en suite bathroom. I adjusted my suit carefully as I looked in the mirror. I was wearing a black suit, including a black waistcoat and silver cufflinks.

Khiya, Lily and my mother had disappeared to try on outfits. Khiya didn't want this, I knew she didn't. Only problem was, my parents were determined.

I wondered about my wedding night.
I mean, we can't have sex. She's not ready. I thought, smoothing my jacket.
Ayy, don't jump to conclusions. Our beau might surprise you. Light spoke from the corner of my mind.
Light, fuck off. You don't know anything. He broke our connection and went to sulk somewhere in the back of my consciousness.

I walked downstairs to the small, pack chapel, located near the kitchen. I sat in one of the old, scratched pews at the front of the chapel and waited for the doors to admit my wedding guests.

***

My mother was the first to enter, followed closely by Leonardo and my father.

I stayed rooted in my seat as Leo approached me. Of course he would attempt to calm my nerves, he was to be my best man.

I ran a hand through my messy, black hair. It was getting longer by the day, falling into my eyes.

Eventually, after all the guests had arrived, I stood before the pack's vicar. He was an old man, balding and stooping with age. Suddenly, the chapel doors flew open and there she stood, my Khiya. A long, fitted, ivory gown hung from her petite frame, brushing her ankles. The fabric was thread with gold, accentuating her long legs, thin arms and beautiful, rounded chest. The simple, strapless gown showed off her Mark, three small, black letters: J.R.S.

Her red hair was swept up in a braided knot, wispy tendrils flowing to her ear lobes. Her shaggy fringe kissed her eyelashes. Her crystal eyes rimmed with dark rings, they shone with the glow of unshed tears. Her make-up was minimalistic, a brush of mascara, a touch of lip gloss and a stroke of blush.

As she walked down the aisle towards me, I tried to recall a vision as awe inspiring. I came up blank. I found myself reaching out to her when she approached the altar.

Khiya grasped my hands, shaking slightly as her maid of honor - Lily - came to a stop beside her.

***

The ceremony had been quick and finally we were ushered out to a round of applause and I was made to stand on the grass, seperate from my guests and my wife.

My father approached me, offering me a simple yet sharp knife, hilt first. He leaned towards our audience.

'Now, to truly become the alpha of our pack, James Shaw must perform the Blood Bond with his mate, Khiya Thatcher.' He spoke with confidence and authority.

He motioned for Khiya to step forward so she did so, stumbling in the dark of the night. I clutched her hand to steady her. Pulling her towards me, I whispered to her.

'The Blood Bond will hurt, but only for a second. It's the action that must be taken.'

Her grip of my hand tightened momentarily, before she stepped away from me.