Part 26

🅺🅰🆃🅽🅸🆂🆂  is alone, her eyes can't detect Rue, Estella, and Aries nowhere in sight. She pulls the stingers from her knee and neck, her mind going blank, then descends the tree...

"Catch her!!" Aries acted fast at Estella's words. They appear from their hiding, and Aries catches Katniss limp in his arm effortlessly. Estella took the bow and 10 arrows from Glimmer; it was hard seeing how tight the girl held to it before death. Rue and Estella stare at Katniss, inspecting her condition.

"Now what?" Aries spoke up, eyes on Estella and no one else. Rue took the lead and walked her way to her campsite, he followed sluggishly with a scowl at how close he was to Katniss since he was holding her. Estella was behind him, enduring on his shirt to his command, as she thought about their next move.

She and Aries shouldn't stay any longer, it's never good to stay in a huge group. They should move once they settle Rue and Katniss. They stop in the middle of their tracks when, a shock Peeta races toward them, through branches. He's carrying a spear, his body covered in welts.

Aries glares harshly at the boy, having his guard up while Rue has the opposite reaction. Estella with her only free hands and a weapon didn't hesitate to pull her bow and aim at Peeta. "You need to move quickly and get out of here! Cato and the rest are coming! Get her to a safer spot!"

Sure enough, Estella could hear the sound of the Career's step getting closer, coming this way. Estella studies Peeta carefully then Rue who seems to have great assurance in the male. "Let's move quickly." Aries clicks his tongue hating that they are following Peeta's words however Estella's palm on his back calms him down as they accelerate their movement absent from the scene.

➴ ➵ ➶ ➴ ➵ ➶ ➴ ➵ ➶

Currently, nighttime has been taken upon once more.

Aries and Estella have chosen to leave the group when the morning reappears as by then Katniss would be awake and Rue won't be so alone. During the day Aries has caught several empoisoned berries and animal meat that could satisfy Rue another day. Meanwhile, Estella disciplined Rue on how to health back Katniss and simple injury through herbs.

Now, the three have yet to go to sleep, unlike the pass-out Katniss. Aries chooses to stay up and guard after the girls, Estella scanning through the tributes that have died today while Rue rests in the sleeping bag and keeps an anticipating eye on Estella who just took notice. "Yes?"

"Can you sing to me again?" This caught Aries's attention, and he moved to sit right next to Estella, their back resting against a rock as he grinned like a cat at her essentially as he found a fresh topic to tantalize her about. "You sang?"

She scowled at the male beside her, slapping him on the side of his head softly, ignoring him as he faked his whine like a child. Estella taught for a minute if she should, later seeing no harm in singing to Rue as in the early morning she would be leaving. "Same song?"

Rue nods her head in excitement, closes her eyes, and gets ready to be drowsy with the melody. Estella glanced at Aries, signaling him to be withdrawn to which Aries chuckled but did as so. She closes her eyes, taking a deep breath as she recalls the lyrics once more. Aries kept a close eye on her, getting intrigued to hear her singing.

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇ?

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʀᴜɴ, ꜱᴏ ᴡᴇ'ᴅ ʙᴏᴛʜ ʙᴇ ꜰʀᴇᴇ

Aries froze at this; he remembers this song and the memories it holds for him. He felt like his breath was taken away as he stared at Estella with broken eyes.

ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴅɪᴅ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ, ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ

ɪꜰ ᴡᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴇᴇ

"She didn't forget," Aries murmured to himself, no one heard him, not one as he felt heartbroken. He looked up at the sky as he let the tune drown him. Estella leans her head on Aries's shoulder. She's starting to hate the song, of how it's flooding her mind with forgotten memories.

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇ?

This time Estella's mind is recalling her father singing once more but in various scenarios. A meadow, or by a darkish river, or a run-down cottage room, but all is with the same figure boy Estella can't estimate out who. Although she knows one thing, the nickname made her glance at Aries.

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ɴᴇᴄᴋʟᴀᴄᴇ ᴏꜰ ʀᴏᴘᴇ, ꜱɪᴅᴇ ʙʏ ꜱɪᴅᴇ ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ

ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴅɪᴅ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ, ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ

The boy is lying right next to her, both against an oak tree with hands intertwined together while Estella's father sat before them, singing this haunting song. Although she knows one thing, the nickname made her glance at Aries who is in the calmest state she had ever seen him.

The touch felt so familiar, too familiar as Estella scoots closer to Aries. Embracing his side, she lets the scent of the forest gradually pull her into a dream as she sings the last line. Her mind pushed the idea of Aries being this mysterious boy for now.

ɪꜰ ᴡᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴇᴇ

Aries watches as Estella's breathing becomes slower, informing him she is long gone from reality, she must be really tired he thought. Glancing at Rue seeing her still halfway to slumber, he took a deep breath and continued the song.

His voice is much deeper and husky, unlike Estella's soothing melody.

ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ, ᴄᴏᴍɪɴɢ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʀᴇᴇ?

Aries smiled cherishing the memory as if it was fresh like yesterday. The scent of the meadow, the older male filthy face as he came back from work to enjoy seeing his daughter and her friend play, running around, or arranging a play before him.

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛᴏ ʀᴜɴ, ꜱᴏ ᴡᴇ'ᴅ ʙᴏᴛʜ ʙᴇ ꜰʀᴇᴇ

It was the same day he promised the man to keep his daughter safe as he tried to better the world. Aries was young and stupid then; he didn't think the man would start a rebellion. If he knew that would be the reason for his death along with his wife, Aries would have stopped him, telling him that he would be leaving his daughter behind.

ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇ ᴛʜɪɴɢꜱ ᴅɪᴅ ʜᴀᴘᴘᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ, ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʀᴀɴɢᴇʀ ᴡᴏᴜʟᴅ ɪᴛ ʙᴇ

ɪꜰ ᴡᴇ ᴍᴇᴛ ᴀᴛ ᴍɪᴅɴɪɢʜᴛ, ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴛʀᴇᴇ

It too would be the cause for his daughter's refusal to treasure the past, including him.