lx. may flowers

SIXTY,
may flowers

SIXTY,may flowers

⋆

THE MEMORY MAY HAVE BEEN FAINT, but Ella Samuels could still remember the day she first witnessed tears roll down Carl Grimes' face.

It was under the blistering summer heat when the downpour began. The reflected light off decayed skyscrapers, thankfully, had blinded his tears from the world, to a certain extent. Not nearly enough for Ella not to notice, though. The girl had a distinct talent of sensing every behavior and emotion of the boy. Emotion that first surfaced, after all their time together, when Daryl Dixon carried out the body of Beth Greene.

It was an unexpected sight, even in a world tainted of death.

An angel by God's creation was intended to be immortal, yet there they were, witnessing the most shocking insult to their creator, up above. A woman like Beth had been blessed by the most holy of all, but not even that could protect her from the kickback of a gun and a single bullet. It was that day when angels were proven to be capable of joining the reaper, despite popular belief. There was simply no other logical solution — as, in no fit universe, would the blonde be considered anything but a figure worth worshiping so dearly.

Ella could understand Carl's grief, like him, she could also recall crying that day. It seemed that particular plague of tears had wiped out their entire group. One would have to be out of their mind not to sob when seeing her golden hair, once radiant of vibrant life, dimmed down to a mixed shade of red. In a world of little hopes, it still managed to be incredibly incomprehensible to them all, for such a figure of light to be suddenly gone, before she even got a chance to shine.

Carl Grimes must have liked her. Ella was aware of this fact from the first time she saw the duo together, and the tension he created on his own. The boy looked at Beth with such awe, it was nearly as incomprehensible as her death. It was, to an extent, similar to the way he looked at Ella, back in those days — a curiosity, nonetheless, but admiration, all the same. As such, it was not a surprise to have her sudden demise affect him so dearly. She was one of the last physical forms of joy they had left, most especially when it came regarding to his previous, younger self.