Chapter Fifteen

Alec's POV

I couldn't get her out of my head. We had Valentine threatening to destroy our world, his daughter running around like a chicken with her head cut off, the clave wanting solutions to problems that I didn't know how to fix, and yet all I could think about was a woman. 

Her gorgeous flowing ivory locks that seemed to go on forever. Those vibrant, soulful blue eyes that lured me into their icy depths; how could such a cool colour make me feel this warm? Perhaps I was wrong, perhaps they weren't blue like the ocean, but a scorching blue only found in the most searing fires. 

And boy did I want to play with fire. 

But of course, my slightly salacious daydreams were interrupted by the increasingly annoying voice of Clary Fairchild. 

"... 'Your mother for the cup."

For fucks sake, that didn't sound good. 

"Who said that?" I asked, almost rhetorically, if only to capture the attention of both Clary and Jace, who were talking in hushed tones. They really ought to learn how to whisper. 

"Valentine," Jace answered, and I frowned, locking onto the necklace that was in Jace's hand. Was that a portal shard? 

"He's with my mother." Clary tacted on, and I sighed internally. That was going to make this a little harder. Clary was very set on finding her mother, which I couldn't hold against her, but her impulsive actions could be. 

"And he can speak to you through that necklace? Here, in the Institute?" I clarified, gesturing to the necklace, trying to maintain a relatively calm disposition. 

"It's like when I saw Dot." Ah, yes, when Amara vomited all over her brother's shoes. At the time, it wasn't amusing, but now that I think back to it? Much more entertaining. 

"It's a Portal shard. That's why your mother made sure you had it." Jace confirmed, and I mentally clapped myself on the back before a frown set between my brows. 

"All I know is what I saw... My mother's alive. She's unconscious but alive." There was relief in the Fairchild's voice, I could hear it, and I could understand it, but we needed something to go off if we had any hope of finding her. 

"Where are they?" I asked directly, silently praying that Clary had been able to separate herself from her emotions and take in something other than her mother's prone body. 

"I don't know." She muttered, somewhat distracted, and I felt my aggravation rising. This is the first time we've had any solid leads, and all I got was ' I don't know?'

For the love of Raziel. 

"But you said you saw them. Were there any identifying characteristics? Equipment, weapons, photographs?" I prompted when she didn't elaborate. Come on, Clary, give me something to work with!