Mission Impossible.

Alec's POV 

The four of us all climbed out of the rusting yellow van, looking around the graveyard we were about to rob. 

"Whose grave is it?" I questioned and it was Jace that gave me the answer. 

"Mary Milligan, born on January 10th, 1802. Died January 10th, 1878." Dying on her birthday? Brutal. And yet oddly ironic. 

"All right, Alec, let's go," Jace ordered and again, I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Jace had always been an authority figure at the institute, he was a ferocious fighter and talented in most departments but he was impulsive and known for his... extracurricular activities. 

If he was just trying to impress the pants off of Clary, I was going to run him over with that hideous yellow car. 

"Wait, what are we looking for?" Clary asked and while it was a valid question, it still annoyed me. Not the question itself but because it was her that was asking. 

"Cache of weapons." Izzy began, her attention divided between the task at hand and her phone. 

"Stashed here with Mrs Milligan." Jace finished and CLary nodded but still looked confused. It must be exhausting being her. 

"Why are there Shadowhunter weapons in a churchyard?" She prodded again. 

"Because all of the ancient religions recognize demons. Or at least they used to." My sister, always the patient person. 

"They forgot about the thread because we've been here to protect them. Typical mundane failure of imagination." I couldn't help but add, the cynical part of my personality rearing its head. 

No one seemed overly thrilled by my comment though. 

"Are you saying we did too good a job? You just can't let up, can you?" Izzy retorted, obviously fed up with me and my sarcastic remarks. 

"You know what? Alec, why don't you go check out by the angel? We couldn't gear up at the Institute, but we know our ancestors left a cache around here someplace. We'll find it." Jace instructed and I reluctantly moved off to the side, ignoring the desire to put him in his place. 

Leaving the other three to their search, I wandered over to the angelic statue, not really even bothering to look at the headstones. 

It wasn't that I didn't want to help Amara and Simon because I did but I didn't like how Jace was acting, he wasn't using his head. Well, not the one on his shoulders. 

I needed him to see reason, to see things from a logical perspective. 

"Excellent. He's home. I'm outta here." Izzy's voice pulled me from my thoughts as she tucked her phone back into her pocket. 

"Wait, aren't you coming with us?" Clary asked innocently and fought the urge to snort, Izzy wasn't the squeamish type. She would be a part of this fight no matter what anyone said.