notes

Angst
TW: charcter death
(I'm not sure if that needs a warning but just in case)

Word Count: 2147

Billie's POV

I went up to my locker, putting in the combination. My brain was on autopilot, grabbing for my math notebook on the top shelf, while my thoughts were all about my girlfriend and how much I wanted to hold her hand, but unfortunately she wasn't at school today.

While reaching for my notebook, I felt a piece of paper on top of everything. Strange. I don't remember putting any paper in my locker. I took out the mysterious note, seeing that it was printed paper. My eyes scanned over it.

To the boy who I love,

Oh, its from Adrienne! Why she printed this out, I don't know. And why did she write this down and not tell me? Was she breaking up with me? No, no she's starting it off by telling my she loves me. Maybe I should read more...

You know who I am. I'm one of your many friends, but (in my opinion) we're close enough for us to be considered best friends. But I won't tell you who I am. I'm too scared too. I'm scared to tell you "I love you, Billie Joe" to your face because you have a girlfriend who you love a lot, and I wouldn't want you to feel guilty about hurting my feelings.

Wait. It's not from Adrienne? Who? I apparently know them, have they shown me that they like me?

I really don't know what else to put in this letter, but I know that you're probably shocked. Don't think too much about it, Billie. I'll be fine if you continue on with your life pretending you never saw this. It'll be better for the both of us.

XOXO, secret admirer.

How does this person expect me to continue on my life after this? I'm gonna be thinking about this letter for the rest of my fucking life! I'm gonna be thinking about this person for the rest of the day at least.

I carefully folded the paper, slipping it into one of the many books in my locker before taking what I came here for, my notebook. I closed the locker, looking at it like it was something unnatural. I turned around, walking away.

--- next day ---

I went inside the musky building that was considered my school, thoughts bouncing around in my mind. One of those thoughts was about how Adrienne was sick, and wouldn't be at school for at least a week. Another thought was if that weird secret admirer person would send me a letter again, or if that first one was the only one.

I saw Mike near my locker, and instantly I thought he was the guy sending me letters. No, no that doesn't make sense. Mike has a boyfriend, Jason, and they've been together since middle school. I don't think Mike would just leave Jason to attempt to be my boyfriend.

"Hey, Billie. Sorry that Adie's sick, really am." I nodded, opening my locker. I felt another peice of paper, but I wanted to talk to Mike more than I wanted to read a note from someone.

Unfortunately, Mike's tall enough to see the note in my locker. "Whats this?" I shrugged, then tried to act like I didn't care about it. "C'mon, Beej, it's not gonna hurt you to read it."

I groaned, but grabbed the note. I just didn't want anyone to know about it, much less Mike.

To Billie Joe,