SS.4 (Flashback): Act of Pettiness

"Isn't that your prey?"

"Huh?"

Ale followed Ryu's line of sight and saw Daniel just in time when the latter got in a car. Before the door closed, he caught a glimpse of the man on the driver's seat.

"Who's that?"

"I don't know." He gritted his teeth as anger rose in his chest. Even from a distance, he could see that the other man was not bad in the looks department, quite decent.

"Don't quickly jump into conclusion, Ale. Ask him when you see each other again."

"Is that what you will do?" Ale sneered. It was ironic that the one giving him that advice was the person least likely to do it.

"No." Ryuichi just indifferently answered.

Ale took his phone and dialed a number. "I'll send a plate number to you. Track and follow this car. Find out everything about the owner and how he is related to Professor Daniel Kaiser."

He ended the call and sent a text message. 

"You're looking good."

"Thank you. You don't look bad, too. It looks like Clive is still taking care of you very well."

"He does, but he's too busy these days. He's the one losing a lot of weight. The thing is, he still refuses to stay in the institute during workdays. He insists on going home every night and taking care of us." Garren shook his head but he was smiling with the image of his overly clingy husband.

"Not sure if you're complaining or bragging about it." Daniel laughed. He already got used to the sweetness of this couple that nothing surprised him anymore. "How are the children?"

"You'll see later. Why not have dinner with us? The kids will love to see you again."

"You know I can't do that." He had old folks waiting at home and they were all accustomed to eating together while chatting about each other's day. As much as he could, he avoided eating dinner outside. "But I will visit and stay for a short while. Has Joie learned to walk now?"

"Walk, run, jump, name it. I'm afraid she'll also learn to fly soon. Together with her brothers, our house is being converted into a big circus."

Daniel laughed at his friend's look of mixed exasperation and amusement. "Who told you to have four?"

"Haist. That pigheaded man. Every time we had a big fight, I always ended up being pregnant."

Daniel's laughter echoed louder inside the car. He knew Clive very well and the images that were running in his head right now were nothing short of hilarious. He was once a witness to how exaggerated the Beta was in coaxing his Omega and until now, he still couldn't wash this memory off his brain.

"You know how insecure Clive is when it comes to you. He still couldn't help being afraid of the possibility that you'll find an Alpha."

"I keep on telling him he has no reason to feel that way. He's the smartest man I've ever known, he's handsome and he's a very good father to our children. What more can I ask for?"

"Well, I guess, you just have to keep on reassuring him. It's not easy to get rid of insecurities, especially when you doubt your compatibility with someone you like." His voice trailed off at the end and he didn't notice his expression went serious.

"Woah. What's this? Do you have someone you like now?"

"Maybe, I don't know. He's one of my students."

"Tsk. That's not easy."

"Yeah."

"But, hey, isn't it time to give it a shot? You're not so young anymore. Just when do you plan to get married and start your own family?"