𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 25

Kaitos POV

"Kaito, it's time to go. Shifts over," says uncle Ukai. I look up from the textbook he had given me to read on my lunch break, he stands at the door of the lunchroom looking at me impatiently. I stand up, stretching my muscles with a yawn. 

I put my things away in my bag and say bye to all the nurses in the lunchroom before leaving out the door with uncle Ukai. Working at the hospital with uncle Ukai served as experience for when I actually work as a surgeon.

Uncle Ukai walks in front of me as we leave the hospital and enter the parking lot. When we enter his car he turns on his Japanese instrumental music, I sit in the passenger seat mentally preparing myself for his lecture about everything I could've done better today.

He lets out a content sigh. "You did well today nephew."

I look at him with wide eyes, no matter how good I think I am he's always telling me how every one of my little mistake's wouldn't fly by if I wanted to be an actual surgeon. "Really?" I ask.

"Yeah, you followed instructions well, kept your cool during the practice surgery, and worked well with your team. Honestly, I can't criticize anything you did today," he says with a shrug. "Maybe one day I'll bring you in to see how we perform a real surgery."

I was never allowed to be in the same room as him to perform real surgeries because I'm still a high school student, but uncle Ukai would guide me through the surgeries he performed and I would have to perform fake surgeries on dummies with my surgical team of university students training for their positions in the real medical world. 

"Thanks, uncle Ukai, but I really don't think I'm ready for that yet." 

"Oh please, of course, you are. You have my approval, you just need a little more practice," uncle Ukai says finally starting to drive out of the parking lot.

"So, what's new with life? You know, since you're a senior in high school now," uncle Ukai says looking at me with wiggling eyebrows. 

I shake my head chuckling, I look out the window seeing a young mother pushing a stroller of three kids while jogging down the road, from here we can see the CN tower standing tall among all the other towers and buildings. "Not much, I got a girlfriend though," I say as nonchalant I can speak while thinking about Rory. 

"You got a what?!" 

"A girlfriend," I say again with a little bit more excitement in my tone. 

"That's great Kaito, just make sure she doesn't distract you from your studies," uncle Ukai says with firmness in his tone. "And don't forget to use protection when engaging in sexual activities, teenagers your age tend to be spreading diseases and getting pregnant at a faster rate than teenagers of any generation."

"Uncle Ukai," I groan in embarrassment, looking out the window.

"What's this girl's name anyway?"

"Aurora."

"Hm I've never heard of a Japanese girl named Aurora, is she white?"

"She's not white, she's Nigerian," I correct. 

"Uncle Ukai, you've missed my turn," I say seeing as we were now headed deeper into the wealthier neighbourhoods and away from mine. 

"No, I didn't. We're getting you a haircut." 

Out of habit, I run my hands through my hair, the hair that Rory loves long. "I don't want a hair cut though," I try and argue. In reality, I knew Uncle Ukai was going to want me to cut it off at one point, but I wanted to keep it as long as possible since Rory likes it.