Chapter One: First Sight

It was seventy-five degrees in Phoenix, Arizona as my sister, Isabella Swan, and I made our way to the airport with our mother.

In Washington State, under a near-constant cover of clouds, exists a small town named Forks. It was from this town that our mom escaped when we were a few months old. It was in this town that we spent a month every summer until Bella turned fourteen and decided she no longer wanted to spend time there. These past three years, I visited our father alone. My love for dad and the rain tethering a part of me to Forks.

It was to this town that we now traveled — an action that Bella took with great horror. She loved Phoenix: the sun and blistering heat, the vigorous and sprawling city.

"Girls," mom said before we boarded, "You don't have to do this."

"I want to go," I said, almost aggressively.

"Yeah," Bella quietly agreed, although her distaste was evident.

It's a four-hour flight from Phoenix to Seattle, another hour in a small plane up to Port Angeles, and then an hour drive back down to Forks. While Bella didn't mind the flying and worried for the drive with our dad, Charlie, I was the exact opposite⎼terrified of heights.

When we landed in Port Angeles, it was raining. While my elder sister looked upwards to the sky, saying her goodbyes to the sun, I tried hard to contain my glee, almost running through the puddles that had been created.

Dad was waiting for us with the cruiser, which was to be expected. Charlie is Chief Police Swan to the good people of Forks. As we descended the plane, we each received an awkward, one-armed hug from him.

"Good to see you girls," he said, smiling, "You haven't changed much, Bells." hesitating on his words.

We didn't have too many clothes to bring as it was made apparent that I was really the only one of us two with winter clothes. It all easily fit into the trunk of the cruiser.

"I found a good car for you guys, really cheap," he announced when we were all strapped in.

"What kind of car?" Bella asked suspiciously.

"Well, it's a truck actually, a Chevy."

"Where did you find it—" Bella started.

"Why does it matter? Dad found us a car!" I said, not bothering to hide my dislike of Bella's attitude.

Dad ignored our disagreement and continued, "Do you remember Billy Black down at La Push?" La Push was the tiny Native reservation on the coast.

"No."

"Yes."

"He's in a wheelchair now," Dad said, "so he can't drive anymore, and he offered to sell me his truck cheap."

"How cheap is cheap?" Bella asked.

"Well, I already bought it. As a homecoming gift." Dad peeked sideways at us with a hopeful expression.

We exchanged a few more comments on the weather, which was wet, and that was pretty much it for Conversation. We stared out the windows in silence.

It was beautiful, Forks was, of course; even Bella couldn't deny that. Everything was green: the trees, their trunks covered with moss, their branches hanging with a canopy of it, the ground covered with ferns. Even the air filtered down greenly through the leaves. I knew that she would think it was too green; an alien planet to her that I felt at home in.

Eventually we made it to the house. He still lived in the small, two-bedroom home that he'd bought with our mother, Renee, in the early days of their marriage. Those were the only kind of days their marriage had — the early ones. There, parked on the street in front of the house that never changed, was our truck. It was a faded red color, with big, rounded fenders and a bulbous cab. To Bella's intense surprise, she loved it. I could tell by the wide-eyed look she let slip past her stony distaste when she first saw it. I already knew I would love it as Dad and I seemed to have the same taste in most things. Neither of us knew if it could run, but we could both imagine ourselves in it. Plus, it was one of those solid iron affairs that never gets damaged — the kind you see at the scene of an accident, paint unscratched, surrounded by the pieces of the foreign car it had destroyed.