Chapter Seventeen: The Game

It was just beginning to drizzle when Edward turned onto our street. I lifted my face to greet the rain. Up until that moment, I'd had no doubt that Christian would be staying with me while I spent a few interim hours in the real world.

And then I saw the black car, a weathered Ford, parked in Dad's driveway — and heard Christian mutter something unintelligible in a low, harsh voice.

Leaning away from the rain under the shallow front porch, Jacob Black stood behind his father's wheelchair. Billy's face was impassive as stone as Edward parked my truck against the curb. Jacob stared down, his expression mortified.

Christian's low voice was furious. "This is crossing the line."

"He came to warn Dad?" I guessed, more horrified than angry.

Christian just nodded, answering Billy's gaze through the rain with narrowed eyes.

I felt weak with relief that Dad wasn't home yet.

"Let us deal with this," I suggested. Christian's black glare made me anxious.

To my surprise, he agreed. "That's probably best. Be careful, though. The child has no idea."

I bridled a little at the word child. "Jacob is not that much younger than I am," I reminded him.

He looked at me then, his anger abruptly fading, "Oh, I know," he assured me with a grin. "Get them inside," he instructed, "so we can leave. We'll be back around dusk."

"Do you want the truck?" I offered, knowing my sister wouldn't oppose. She hadn't climbed out of the cab yet. I suppose Edward was relaying the same information.

He rolled his eyes. "We could walk home faster than this truck moves."

I left it at that, standing to climb out of the back of the truck. It was still raining, but I didn't mind. It felt nice.

Jacob seemed to notice my motives and ran out into the rain as his shocked father screamed at him to come back. He appeared on the side of the truck and held out his hand to me. Not thinking about it, I took his hand and he reached up his other one to grab me under my arm and slowly helped lower me to the ground.

I turned when I touched the pavement and saw Christian's evil glare. I ducked my head, worried for that conversation later.

Bella climbed out of the cab next and ran to the porch, Jacob and I walking up behind her.

"Hey, Billy. Hi Jacob." Bella greeted them as cheerfully as she could manage. "Charlie's gone for the day — I hope you haven't been waiting long."

"Not long," Billy said in a subdued tone. His black eyes were piercing. "I just wanted to bring this up." He indicated a brown paper sack resting in his lap.

"Thanks," I said, though I had no idea what it could be. "Why don't you come in for a minute and dry off?"

I pretended to be oblivious to his intense scrutiny as I unlocked the door, and waved them in ahead of me.

"Here, let me take that," Bella offered, turning to shut the door. Probably allowing herself one last glance at Edward.

"You'll want to put it in the fridge," Billy noted as he handed her the package. "It's some of Harry Clearwater's homemade fish fry — Charlie's favorite. The fridge keeps it drier." He shrugged.

"Thanks," I repeated, but with feeling this time. "Bella was running out of new ways to fix fish, and he's bound to bring home more tonight."

"Fishing again?" Billy asked with a subtle gleam in his eye. "Down at the usual spot? Maybe I'll run by and see him."