Chapter Twelve: Balancing

"Billy!" Dad called as soon as he got out of the car.

I turned toward the house, beckoning to Jacob as I pulled Bella along. I heard Dad greeting them loudly behind me.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see you behind the wheel, Jake," he said disapprovingly.

"We get permits early on the rez," Jacob said while I walked in the door and flicked on the porch light.

"Sure you do," Dad laughed.

"I have to get around somehow." I recognized Billy's resonant voice easily. The sound of it made me feel suddenly younger, a child. Bella and I went inside, leaving the door open behind us and turned on the inside lights. Bella hung up her jacket, but I kept mine — Christian's — on. Then I stood in the door, watching anxiously as Dad and Jacob helped Billy out of the car and into his wheelchair.

I backed out of the way as the three of them hurried in, shaking off the rain. Bella was already standing at the stairs, waiting.

"This is a surprise," Charlie was saying.

"It's been too long," Billy answered. "I hope it's not a bad time." His dark eyes flashed up to me again and then my sister, their expression unreadable.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game."

Jacob grinned. "I think that's the plan — our TV broke last week."

Billy made a face at his son. "And, of course, Jacob was anxious to see Alexandra again," he added. Jacob scowled and ducked his head while I fought back a smile. Knowing he wanted to see me made me happy.

"Are you hungry?" Bella asked, turning toward the kitchen. She seemed eager to escape Billy's searching gaze.

"Naw, we ate just before we came," Jacob answered. I saw a blush creep up and touch the tanned skin of his ears. He would only give be a side glance.

"How about you, Charlie?" Bella called over her shoulder and she fled around the corner.

"Sure," he replied, his voice moving in the direction of the front room and the TV. I could hear Billy's chair follow.

I followed Bella into the kitchen and sat at the table to watch her cook. The grilled cheese sandwiches were in the frying pan and she was slicing up a tomato when I sensed someone walking in.

"So, how are things?" Jacob asked as he took a seat next to me at the table.

"Pretty good." I smiled. His enthusiasm was hard to resist. "How about you? Did you finish your car?"

"No." He frowned. "I still need parts. We borrowed that one." He pointed with his thumb in the direction of the front yard.

"Sorry. I haven't seen any... what was it you were looking for?"

"Master cylinder." He grinned. "Is something wrong with the truck?" he added suddenly.

"No."

"Oh, I just wondered because you weren't driving it."

I stared down at the table, running my fingers along the edge. "We got a ride with some friends."

"Nice ride." Jacob's voice was admiring. "I didn't recognize the driver, though, or the other one. I thought I knew most of the kids around here."

I nodded noncommittally, keeping my eyes down.

"My dad seemed to know them from somewhere."

"Jacob, could you hand me some plates? They're in the cupboard over the sink." Bella chimed, changing the subject.