Chapter Twenty-Three: The Angel

The next bit of time passed weird for me. Christian spent it trying to spoon feed me soup and sympathy, whilst occasionally conversing with someone on the phone.

"Your dad will be home soon, Alex. I don't want you to say anything," Little did he know, I couldn't even if I tried. "I'll talk to him. We have a story to give him. They found her, Alex. They found Bella."

My head snapped up, tears swimming in my vision. He hadn't said anything else and I was bracing myself for the worst, but I couldn't stop myself from hoping, maybe...

Dad got home later that day and Christian and I were waiting for him on the couch. Walking in, he almost jumped out of his skin, seeing us perfectly still staring at him. He seemed to understand immediately that we had news and after carefully hanging his loaded gun in its usual place, he dropped the rest of his load and walked shakily to the unoccupied chair, quiet.

No one moved, no one spoke. I cleared my throat, but found no words. Finally he got impatient. "Well, tell me," It was a bit aggressive, but I knew his feelings. I, alone, could at least understand.

"They got her to listen, kind of," Christian started, uneasy.

My dad raised his eyebrows in a way to say 'keep going.'

"She didn't want to listen, but Edward and Carlisle had a sit down, tried to convince her to come home... she got hurt."

It was hard not to lose my composure just watching my father. I could see in his eyes that he was beginning to unravel.

"Nothing too terrible, but she fell down some stairs.." Dad relaxed slightly. "And through a window." Christian finished quickly.

Dad stood abruptly, like he had been electrocuted. He looked like he wanted to shout or strangle Christian, but that isn't rational and I knew that he knew that, too.

"She's in a hospital in Phoenix," I spoke up, finally.

I know he heard me, but he didn't reply. Instead, he marched quickly to his room. Packing a bag, no doubt. My bag was already packed and ready.

We were on our way to my sister before the sun fully disappeared from the sky.