Chapter Twenty-Two: Hide-and-Seek

It was almost 10 a.m. when I got the next update from the Cullens. I had resigned to lay in bed for the last four hours and try to come up with ideas, ways I could help my family.

Christian spoke fast, to-the-point, and a little less sensitive than I would've liked.

"They lost her."

And I was up. Flying through my room to put on clothes. I would've sent my Dad into a panic with the noise if I wasn't sure he'd already left for work. Christian watched me carefully and I threw on a t-shirt and jeans, slip-on shoes, and pulled my hair into a ponytail while simultaneously running down the stairs. I was making a break for the front door when he hooked his arm around my waist and all but tossed me back into the middle of my living room.

"What are you doing?" I demanded more than asked; I was getting angry quickly.

"Where are you going?"

I couldn't tell if he was serious. He just told me they lost Bella when an evil vampire is hunting her down. Did he really think I'd just let her go?

"To find my sister." I said, trying to push past him again.

He didn't budge. Of course not.

"They know where she went, there's no need for you to find her. Alice had a vision when Bella ran off, so they have a good idea of where she's headed. They're going to get her back."

"Then where is she going? Why would she leave them?" I was frantic, almost yelling.

"She's going to try to save your mother."

I felt my knees go weak with defeat, anger, frustration; I couldn't quite find a name for the feeling. Christian caught me as I stumbled, but didn't let me go once I was upright. He led me to the couch and sat me down. He didn't pull me onto his lap this time, he just sat with his arms steadying me, unmoving.

"They will find her. Edward already left ahead of the rest. He's fast–faster than any of us. He won't let anything happen to her."

It felt empty. As if he wasn't sure he could believe that, just words of comfort to the girl who was about to lose a piece of her world, of her own heart.