Chapter 7: Tornado Romance

CONTENT WARNING: Mentions of Poverty, Drug abuse, and Classism

Francis was from a long line of archdukes who all had one thing in common. They all had amazing love stories. His full name was Francis Lal Bonheur-Amore. Essentially, his name meant that he was supposed to be lucky in love and be loved by the people in his life. The Bonheur-Amore family were all lucky with love, all meeting their soul mates and having dramatic story-worthy romances with them. The first archduke was like this, his grandparents were like this, his parents were like this, so naturally, Francis thought. He would be like this.

To say that he was obsessed with the idea of love was a bit reductive. He didn't want just anyone, he wanted someone that was meant to be with him. Just like his fathers. They had such a loving relationship, it wasn't perfect but they understood each other. They smiled and laughed more than they cried. Francis had been an only child and extremely lonely, so the idea of having someone with him forever was amazing. He had thought he had found that in the gentle and quiet alpha named Dallas West. But she was engaged and August wouldn't let her go. But to be fair, Dallas didn't look like she wanted to leave.

Francis knew he could be a bit much, dramatic and out-spoken. Things that, most alphas in higher society didn't care much for. Demure well put together omegas were the ideal on campus. Everyone saw Francis as a needy omega desperate for a mate. But he had brought that reputation onto himself. Causing drama and humiliating himself. The extra sting he felt when he saw Dallas walking around with a new mark on her neck... Was indescribable.

Perhaps he was the only Bonheur-Amore that was unlucky with love? Francis sighed as he kept his head down working on notes. His partner for this project was asleep, a lazy alpha female named Quinn Ramsey. She was a transfer student here on a scholarship somehow? Francis had no idea how that was. The alpha only slept whenever he saw her. She also always ended up as his partner on many projects and always seemed to be in at least one of his classes. Francis was beginning to think they had the same major. "You're quiet." Quinn's voice spoke up with a yawn. "Is that a problem?" Francis asked sighing, he sat down his pencil. They were working in the library today. Well, Francis was working. Apparently, Quinn already got her part done. "For you... It is." Quinn shifted sitting up, "What's up buttercup?" She asked stretching.

"Not anything I feel comfortable talking to you about." Francis sighed, Quinn, rested her face on her hand and eyed him. "Why?" She asked, "You'll laugh or make a sarcastic remark like everyone else." Francis spoke honestly, he was never good at hiding his feelings. Quinn was quiet for a moment and then shook her head. "I'm not going to force you to talk about it if you don't want to. But, if you do talk about it. I promise I won't laugh or make fun of you. I'll just listen." She promised stretching out her arms in front of her. "And," She laid her head down on her arms again, "if you'd like I could probably help out with whatever's bothering you." She offered.

"Why would you offer something like that?" Francis was suspicious, "You being mopey and sad doesn't suit you. Everything feels right whenever you're bouncing off the walls or causing trouble." Quinn said grinning at him. Francis felt his heart skip a beat. He quickly looked away trying not to get himself carried away with that one sentence. But hearing someone say that, made him happy. He tucked some hair behind his ear out of habit and sighed. "I really liked someone and thought... We were going to end up together. But I just ended up humiliating myself again." Francis confessed.

He looked over at Quinn who just stared at him quietly, she didn't make any remarks there was no judgment in her eyes. "That must have been rough." She remarked, Francis gave her a small sad smile. "It was." He said sighing. "Rejection's hard man. Especially when it comes to matters of the heart. Nothing wrong with being upset about that for a while." Quinn told him speaking in a relaxed tone. Francis sighed, "I know. But, I'm pretty used to rejection. I'm just..." He trailed off wondering if he should even be talking to Quinn of all people about this.