Sleep

Girlfriend quietly crept into her boyfriend's room, walking over to their bed and sitting down by it, taking in the adorable view of his sleeping face. After a few minutes, Boyfriend stirred awake and reached for his phone. He was fully awake after he saw the time on it.

"Work!" He exclaimed in a panic, grabbing multiple things, and throwing random clothes on.

"It's your day off, hun." Girlfriend said calmly. Boyfriend calmed down.

"I nearly panicked!" Boyfriend muttered, grabbing his heaving chest.

"He's like a warrior freshly returned from the battle field." She thought.

"Well, I'm glad it is. A nice sunny day like this is perfect for sleeping in." He said, laying back down. "Do you ever get sleepy?" Boyfriend asked Girlfriend.

"Demons basically never sleep. It's not like we need it anyway. You know, Cassandra went without sleep for tens of thousands of years to protect her treasure." Girlfriend said. 

"Talk about analog security..." Boyfriend replied.

"I suppose I do get sleepy during the cold seasons, though." Girlfriend said, her tail wagging.

"Do you hibernate then?" Boyfriend asked.

"I guess so. I have fallen into a deep sleep and remained that way for a while one year." Girlfriend replied. "It usually takes a trigger to wake me back up." She added.

"A trigger?" Boyfriend repeated.

"Like when I sense the world become full of malice, or something like blood and miasma seeping into the earth and creating a foul odor." She explained.

"The way you wake up is so sinister!" Boyfriend replied. 

"I have been sleeping more since coming here, though!" Girlfriend said.

"To match our lifestyle?" Boyfriend asked.

"That's apart of it, but sometimes, I actually do get the urge to sleep. I don't know why, though..." Girlfriend said.

"I see... Well, night." He said, pulling the covers back over his head.

"But!" Girlfriend began. She gave up. "He usually never wakes up when he's like that. I guess I'll go shopping for dinner." She said to herself. Girlfriend strolled through the shopping district and scowled as she caught Sky's eye. "Luck's not with me, running into you at this time." She complained.

"That's my line!" Sky snapped back.

"What's with that load of sweets? Did you quit being a demon to become a pig?" Girlfriend asked, jokingly.

"Back off. I'm too tired, and my mind's not working properly." Sky said, defensively. 

"So you've started to sleep here, too..." Girlfriend said in a quieter tone.

"It came naturally as I learned how humans live." Sky said. "I've been sleeping every night since I came to this world. Have you?" She asked

"Yeah." Girlfriend said.

"Strange, isn't it? I wonder where this sleepiness comes from." Sky said. They stood in silence for a bit.

"Well, I hope you at least get sold for 88 dollars per 100 grams at the local butcher." Girlfriend said as she walked off, cracking another pig joke.

"Don't assign me a cheap price tag!" Sky demanded, trying to mask her amusement with anger.

Later That Night

Girlfriend sat at the kitchen table of the empty, dark living room. It was 2:00 in the morning, a time most humans slept at. She got up and looked out of the balcony window.

"It's quiet..." She muttered.

"Yeah." Boyfriend said from behind her. Girlfriend, not knowing he was awake turned around in surprise. "Sorry, did I startle you? I slept too much this afternoon, so I'm not that tired." He said.

"I've always wondered... Why do humans get sleepy?" Girlfriend asked.

"It's a physiological response. We usually don't function right when we don't get enough sleep." Boyfriend began. He then went into a scientific explanation about diurnal and nocturnal stuff. 

"Hm." Girlfriend said.

"Not what you were asking about?" Boyfriend asked. He looked up at the ceiling in thought. "It's probably pressure to conform." He said.

"You mean going along with the majority?" Girlfriend asked.

"Yeah. My parents told me, 'Someone said it's getting dark out, and hard to do anything, so let's just sleep. Then, someone else agreed. More people went along with the idea.'" Boyfriend said. "They would then say, 'When everyone's asleep, it's kind of lonely being awake by yourself. So, everyone went to sleep together.' It's something they would say to get me in the bed." 

"I see." Girlfriend said. "I guess I, too have given in to that pressure to conform." She thought. Girlfriend tiredly climbed back into bed with Boyfriend.