Chapter nine

Later that night, I really couldn't get myself to sleep, I was too excited for Maxon's arrival. Another midnight getaway was in store, and I have no idea what he has planned.

This is not what I expected would happen in the Selection, especially not between me and Maxon. We have become incredibly close ever since I got here, and I really don't know what to think about it. I know it's risky to get close to him, especially when I'm supposed to give out information to the rebels, but for some reason I can't get myself to do that.

Him and the royals aren't as evil as the rebels said they were, I mean, King Clarkson is not the nicest person, but I have been around horrible people basically my whole life so I'm used to it.

Maxon seems to be so perfect, it makes me just wonder what he could do to look bad or wrong fit to be a good king, what he has done so far... he has been nothing but kind and charming.

I was sitting by the edge of my bed, looking at the door, waiting for a note to slid in or a knock to come, but nothing. Maybe he forgot. Then a while longer, I could hear tapping on my balcony window, I turned my head towards it. It was no one there, but something was thrown towards it.

I got to my feet, making my way towards the balcony and opened the doors. There was small rocks on the balcony, and other ones coming. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I came to the edge of the balcony, and there below me was Maxon, throwing rocks. He stopped as he saw me, smiling softly.

"What are you doing? Are you mad?", I asked.

"What do you think I'm doing? We have a midnight getaway to get to.", he laughed lightly.

"Yeah, but you could have just knock on the door.".

"There's no fun in that! Get down here!".

I chuckled, smiling brightly and shaking my head by how silly he sounded, I went back inside, closing the balcony doors. I grabbed my robe, getting out of my chamber and walked hastily down the hallways all the way to the exit to the garden.

I came out to the garden, seeing Maxon standing there with a white shirt and some black pants. I chuckled, walking towards him. "What gave you the idea to call me like that?".

"I was already out, planing our getaway, and as soon as I saw your balcony.", he pointed at my balcony. "I came up with it.".

"So we are having our getaway outside? Exciting.", I smiled.

He smiled, reaching out his hand towards me. "Shall we, my dear?", he asked softly. I looked at his hand, chuckling, placing my hand in his. He started to lead me through the garden, but to a place I haven't come by before.

"Where are we exactly going, Maxon?".

"You really don't like waiting, do you?".

I shook my head. "Not when there's something exciting ahead of us.".

"You don't know what it will be, maybe you are excited for nothing.", he said, playfully, looking at me.

I gasped, shaking my head. "Don't you dare destroy my hopes, Maxon Schreave!".

"Oh, what will you do? Betray me?".

I widened my eyes, shocked that he said something like that, that is what I eventually will do when he finds out why I'm really here. I shook my head, faking a light smile, nervously as I was looking at him.

We continued to walk, I let my eyes travel around, I have seen this place before but from a distance when I was walking in the forest. It was more beautiful up close. He suddenly stopped walking and I stopped my steps, gasping as I saw what he had planned, smiling brightly. There was a blanket on the ground, against the tree with a basket on the blanket.