Chapter eleven

Later that evening, I was in my chamber in my night gown, looking out through the window with soft tears in my eyes. I couldn't stop thinking about what Paul told me earlier, Maxon's blood would be on my hands, I knew that somehow they would kill him but I never knew that I would come to care so much about him. I can't imagine myself hurting and betraying him, he told me he never wants to lose me, but that is exactly what he is about to do.

I could hear a small knock on the door before it carefully got open, as I looked over my shoulder, I saw that it was Maxon. He had now taken off half of his pirate costume, still having the shirt and pants on, and he looked concerned at me.

"Maxon? What are you doing here?", I frowned, drying away my tears. "Aren't you supposed to be at the party?".

"No, it ended a while ago.", he told me, still standing by the doorway. "I wonder where you went, you got me worried. Could I come in?".

I nodded, not saying anything. He walked inside and closed the door, he started to make his way towards me carefully and gently.

"I went to look for you, and I saw you fight with your brother.".

I widened my eyes, clearing my throat nervously. "Yo-you did?", I asked, wondering if he heard us as well. "How much did you hear?".

"Nothing, but I almost saw the whole thing. Are you okay? You wanna talk about it?".

"It's kinda difficult to talk about.".

"I didn't know you two were fighting so much.".

"This is why I didn't want him to come.", I shook my head, sobbing lightly. "I didn't want this beautiful night to end in tears.".

He sighed, leaning in and dried my tears with his thumb, I smiled slightly at him. "We missed you.", he said. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, how was the party?".

"Great, but a little less fun without you.".

"Just a little?".

He chuckled, smiling. "Well, I finally got my dance with Lady America, and everyone else, but I missed my siren.".

I smiled. "And she missed her pirate.".

He placed his hand gently on my cheek caressing them, we gazed into each other's eyes deeply and smiled lightly. "How are you feeling?".

"Better now.", I placed my hand on his, nodding softly. "Thank you.".

He gave me a nod. "Always.".

I inhaled, nodding nervously, just thinking about how he said that and how hurt he will be when he finds out the truth about why I'm here. Seeing that smile face, not being able to feel his hands on my cheeks or his arms around me, it's breaking my heart. I could see in his eyes that he was telling the truth, which only made harder to let myself get closer to him.

"Hold me please.", I said softly and turned around, looking out the window, I could feel his arms getting wrapped around me from behind and his head was against mine.

"Like this?".

I nodded, sighing. "I hate to think I destroyed the night.".

"You didn't... Paul did, at least for you.", he said softly. "I'm sorry I pressured you to invite him.".

"It wasn't your fault, you didn't know how we were.".

"Have you always been like that? Fighting?".

I nodded. "Coming felt like an escape from all that, but as soon as I saw him... it was like reality struck in, which felt horrible cause I loved living in that escape, the escape I get when I'm here, within these walls... by your side.".