Five

Chapter V

The bright sunshine did not give warmth but just beautiful light to the day. Winter was coming, and so was the chill of its season. Abbie stretched her well-rested body and looked around her surroundings. The large, tastefully decorated room was not for a man. He was expecting a woman to join him here at the Van Brunt Estates. A thrill and hatred filled her body as she sat up in the very comfortable bed.

Clothing lay across a chair in her room. She could smell aromatic scents coming from the bathroom, and Abbie slowly got out of the bed. A large beautiful bathtub filled with hot water and aromatics surprised her. She must have slept through it all. Had Abraham been in her room while she slept? Abbie pulled her nightgown closer, feeling the excitement in her traitorous body. Where was he now? He had saved her only to hold her captive here. She had to escape. She had to let her department know that she was all right. The aroma from the water made her grip on her nightdress relax. Abbie stared at the soothing water and began removing her clothing. First, she would bathe to remove his touch from her body. She could still feel his strength and wanted it gone. She did not care that her skin felt alive when he touched her or the fact that he had saved her twice now. Maybe he was different now, but she wanted no part of him in her life.

Abbie closed her eyes and scrunched the excess water from her hair with the towel.  She loved the smell of her skin and its moisturized softness after the bath. Abbie looked at the clothing on her bed as she walked into the bedroom. Her long sigh filled the bedroom, realizing that she had no choice but to wear them. The dark purple low-cut blouse clung to her breasts and curves, and the jeans fit her like skin. How long had Abraham watched her knowing the precise angle and fit of her body?  Abbie forced herself to look into the floor-length mirror. Her slightly wavy hair parted to the right side and hanging loose to her elbows added to the picture that stared at her from the mirror. Her dark eyes showed concern and the revelation that she looked wanted or wanted someone. Abbie dismissed that notion running through her head. Instead, she forced all of her attention on the fading scar over her right breast. She raised her hand and gently ran her fingers over the mark. Heat enveloped her body, and the feeling that something was wrong filled her senses. A frown filled her beautiful face as she continued touching the brand of the Horseman.

Where was he?

A light knock on her door brought a nervous feeling to her body. Was it Abraham? Had he finally come to see her? Abbie pulled her hand away from the scar and balled her hands into fists. She was not going to let her possessed body delay her plans to escape. She began looking around the room and saw a fireplace poker in the corner along with a long letter opener sitting on the desk in her room.

"Yes," Abbie answered the person at the door.

"Miss Mills, your presence is requested for a late breakfast."

What time was it? Abbie searched the room for a clock but found none. She found no evidence of a phone or anything electrical in the room. Abraham had done this to keep her away from everyone. "Alright, I will be down."

She walked down the long spiral staircase marveling at the beautiful architecture in the house. The people in the home all smiled at her. Abbie knew that was not of their own volition. She walked into the small dining room expecting to see Abraham but only saw Henry sitting at the table and War standing beside him. Panic filled her body not because of their presence but because of who was not there.

"Where is Abraham?"

Henry raised an eyebrow at the desperation in her voice. The concern came through despite the frown on her face.

"I mean the headless Horseman."

Henry's slow smile and chuckle infuriated her. "I mean death. Where is he?"