Six

Chapter VI

The white smoke grew thicker as it rolled down into the clearing. Ichabod watched the smoke elongate into fingers as it moved over Abbie's body. Blue sparks of supernatural power filled the thick white smoke as it caressed Abbie's body. He watched a smile form on her face despite their current situation of a vile creature chasing them. Only one name came to Ichabod's mind as the fingers glided over the glowing scar on her breast, Abraham. Abbie looked up at the frowning face of her teammate and tried to lose her smile but failed miserably. The fingers continued showing her love as she reached out to touch the solid mass. Ichabod raised an eyebrow as the fingers began to fan out towards him, with blue sparks crackling within the smoke. He knew a caress would not fill the fingers that suddenly turned to claws.

The sound of a roar replaced all of Abbie's joy with fear as the beast that chased them attempted to find them in the wall of smoke. Visibility was less than a foot, and the smoke obscured any smell. Sound muffled in the dense smoke. They had only their wits to guide them and a scar. Ichabod moved closer to Abbie as the feeling of approaching danger overwhelmed him. He placed her behind him as the smoke stirred before him. Blue sparks increased, and Ichabod moved backward with Abbie. The smoke filled their vacated space. Lord Milan stepped into the vacated spot, trying to look through the thick whiteness. He sniffed the air but only got smoke. He snorted to remove the entity from his body.

"I will find you lovely...Rest assured that I will have you."

Ichabod raised his gun when the vile words filtered through the smoke to their ears. Abbie trembled with fear as she looked around, trying to find the hulking beast that stalked her. Only the thick wall of smoke came into view. Blue sparks filled the smoke to their right, and Ichabod moved her back again as Lord Milian walked right past them in his search. He could not see them. Something about the smoke made him blind to them. Abbie gripped the back of Ichabod's jacket as she saw the grey-colored monster look directly at them but not see them or smell them. He knew that they were there but was unable to pinpoint where. Puss dripped from his face as long canine pushed from his mouth. A roar of pain filled the smoke as the beast fell to the ground and grew even more massive. Long red spikes grew from his head and flared out like spears. His five eyes searched the smoke in all directions as he wallowed in pain.

"My lovely!"

Ichabod backed, forcing Abbie back into the thick smoke as the creature continued to transform. The ragged voice grew louder as Lord Milian flopped on the ground in pain from the transformation while calling for Abbie as if she would come to him.

"I will have you lovely...." Ichabod continued backing away from the sound of the voice about five feet in front of them.

Edward leaned against a tree as he watched the thick smoke fill the clearing directly in front of him. He could see nothing but the wall of white smoke before him. Edward knew that Moloch's bride was inside the cocoon. Something was keeping her safe from the beast. "We will go in and find her for him."

The rest of the Hessian stared at the claw-like hands swirling in the thick white smoke. The sudden sparks of blue electricity made them all jump. Whatever hid in the smoke would not be kind to them. "What is in the smoke?"

Edward grabbed one of his teammates. "Do you understand that if we don't help Lord Milian that he will kill us? If we give him the woman, then he will not kill us. We have to do this, so follow me."

He could not see their reaction to his words, but he could feel their footsteps behind him as he walked into the blue sparking smoke. Patrick, heard cries of pain from those in the smoke, stayed by the trees, as did those loyal to Henry. They wanted no part of Edward's plan.Ichabod continued backing away from the heavy breathing that he could hear from the resting beast. After he rested, he would continue his search for Abigail. He would never stop until she was his. If they could make it out of the smoke, they had a chance of getting away from Lord Milian. Ichabod released his weapon and let it hang at his side as he turned and faced Abbie. He pointed towards the tree, and she nodded. His right arm circled her waist as Ichabod directed her towards her left. A flash of light caught Ichabod's eyes, and he looked down at Abbie's breasts and saw the scar glowing brightly. Another pair of hands grabbed Abbie's shoulders. Edward's face came through the smoke wearing a smile.