CHAPTER II

P.O.V. – Zechariah

Z.P.A. Vice Principal Zechariah had spent just about twenty years of his life in Safe Haven—and all twenty of those years were spent with an underlying fear for the haven's safety slowly building as time went on. Now, however, it seemed that sense of dread he had constantly felt was at its peak—especially since the arrival of Cameron Walden. Of all the Pacts that had recently been broken, this was by far the most egregious: the arrival of a newcomer with no prior knowledge of Safe Haven.

Zechariah didn't know who was orchestrating the Breaking of the Pacts or why, but he knew he'd find out soon enough—and when he did, there would be Hell to pay...

...in the most literal sense.

Zechariah trudged into his office, which he shared with the cuttlefish-headed Principal Winston, and sat down behind his desk with a sigh. "Have you heard anything from the Secret Peacekeepers, Winston?" he inquired, sorting the papers on his desk.

Winston sputtered something unintelligible to the untrained ear. He had been cursed many years ago and had lost the ability to speak normally in the process, but those who had known him for a long time could understand him—mostly. For example, Zechariah knew that the principal had just said, "Not yet, but I'm sure we'll hear from them soon."

"I should hope so. We're flying blind here," Zechariah muttered. He scribbled something on one of the files before him and asked, "Has Simon been behaving himself?"

"He hasn't been unruly, if that's what you mean," Winston replied. "In fact, he's been very cooperative—aside from explaining to us how he and Venganza arrived here from Berlin. He still insists he doesn't know... and if I'm honest, Zechariah, I'm starting to believe him."

"Who on Earth is powerful enough to teleport two rogue vampires from Berlin to the Northwest Territories?" Zechariah grumbled. "And powerful enough to play with them like toys?"

"I'm as lost for answers as you are," Winston responded. "But whoever it is, they are sure to be one of the most dangerous foes we've ever faced."

"Hmph." Zechariah flipped a page. "What were they doing in Berlin, anyway?" he wondered. "I thought Venganza's vampire clan was located in the 'Lair of Demons' cave north of here."

"They are," Winston confirmed. "Guardian tells me that Venganza had received an invite from the vampire king."

"Dracula?"

"Yes. He summoned them to one of his many palaces—the one located in Berlin—in the hopes of winning Venganza's hand in marriage, of all things."

Zechariah snorted. "Well, I suppose that clears that up, then." Then he frowned. "Wait—what was Guardian doing in Berlin?"

"Secret Peacekeeping," Winston answered cryptically.

"Right. Of course." Zechariah sighed. "You know, I would like to know what he and his brother are up to. And I know I've asked this a million times, but... is there any chance you could enlighten me?"

"Soon, my friend," Winston answered, his eyes twinkling with the wisdom of centuries. "I promise."

Zechariah sighed again—this time more heavily—and nodded. "Alright." He tidied up his desk and walked around it, saying, "I'm going to make sure Carrie's got a handle on Simon. We don't want him breaking out."

"I'd be more worried about his mistress breaking in," Winston warned as Zechariah left the office. "You of all people should know how relentless she is."