Epilogue II

OLD FRIENDS

P.O.V. – Salvia/Dragons

"You know what's coming, don't you?"

Guardian removed his glasses and rubbed his temples, slumping in one of the five chairs in Salvia's office. Defender and Salvia took up two of the remaining four, looking rather tense—especially after Salvia's words. "Yes, we know," Guardian muttered, squeezing his eyes shut and massaging the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, Salvia, but we can't stay to help."

"She'll be heartbroken!" Salvia protested. "Five hundred years, Fitch! Five hundred years she's waited for the four of you! And you're leaving right before she—"

"It's not our choice!" Guardian barked, opening his eyes and glaring at Salvia. "We're needed in Chukotka!"

"They'll be havin' trouble too, Sal," Defender put in quietly, keeping his eyes on the ground. "You know we can't do anything to fight our enemy. We can at least help out with theirs."

Salvia huffed. "I still think it's poor timing. Why can't one of you"—she gave Defender a pointed look that was hidden by her hair—"go to Chukotka while the other"—she gestured to Guardian—"stays?"

"It don't work like that, Sal," Defender said exasperatedly. "You know that."

"They need both of us," Guardian agreed, rising from his seat. "Especially since Malcom and Marx are otherwise occupied."

Salvia took in a deep breath, then let it out as a long sigh. "Alright. Fine. Then go. If I get to talk to her, I'll let her know that you had more important things to do."

Guardian winced as her words cut deep. "Salvia, it's not like that," he protested. "I still—I mean, we both still—you know." He trailed off, turning away as his face turned slightly pink.

Salvia smiled a little at that. "Yeah," she said softly. "I know. I—I'm sorry."

"We won't be gone for long, Sal—just 'til the Chukotka crisis is over," Defender assured her, putting a hand on her shoulder. "If it even happens, anyway. I mean, we're just speculatin', right? If it don't happen, we'll be home even faster!"

"Right. Look on the bright side," Guardian agreed, recovering from his temporary embarrassment. "Trust us, Salvia—we'll be home before you know it. Before she knows it."

Salvia nodded, knowing it was hopeless to convince the brothers otherwise. "Alright," she conceded. "Just... come back in one piece, okay?"

Defender cracked a grin. "Don't we always?"