CHAPTER VI

Adina looked around at the group that had gathered in a catacomb hidden beneath the Temple of the Saved. Present were Imperius, Venganza, and their respective minions. On the fallen angel's left and right were KayCee and another powerful demoness called Jestine, self-proclaimed embodiment of Pride.

"So what are we doing here, Adina?" Imperius asked, removing the knife he was using as a toothpick from between his teeth. "Just having a little get-together, eh? A nice little meet-n'-greet?"

"Be serious, imbecile," Venganza snapped at him. "You know why we're here."

"Be very careful with your tone, wraith," Imperius warned, pointing his knife at the vampire. "I have a blood oath on your head as well—one that I intend to fulfill when my business with Adina is done."

"As if you could actually fulfill it," Venganza sneered.

"Silence, both of you," Adina ordered. "I simply brought you all here to the discuss the parts you will play in our future operations."

"Do tell," Simon said in an uninterested tone, resting his chin on his paws.

Adina floated around the room on her huge, intangible wings. "Venganza, I want you and your vampires to cause chaos in the districts at random," she ordered. "Increase tension, but don't draw too much attention to yourselves."

"And we can feed?" Venganza inquired.

"To your heart's content," Adina confirmed. Turning to Imperius, she went on, "You, Imperius, are responsible for keeping track of the target. I cannot sense her when she is in the presence of Peacekeepers—their magic keeps her hidden. However, I have a specific time for you to begin operations. Tomorrow night, your hunt begins."

Imperius dipped his head. "As you wish, madam."

"Jestine will continue to plague Cameron with nightmares," Adina stated, gesturing to the dream-watching demon on her left, "while KayCee makes her waking hours a living hell."

Jestine smirked while KayCee giggled eagerly.

"Now we all know our parts—correct?" Adina asked, looking around expectantly.

"We do," Imperius replied as his Blood Hunters gathered around him. "We'll follow your instructions to the letter." He sliced the flesh on his arm, adding, "That's a blood oath."

Venganza fought to avoid staring at the blood flowing down Imperius's arm while Simon drooled next to her, snarling hungrily. "As long as I have my vengeance," the vampire queen purred, unsheathing her claws, "your wish... is my command."

-

Guardian narrowed his eyes and flew away, carrying everything he'd learned with him. This is bad, he thought. Things are ramping up. If we can't completely close Cameron off to the fear... we might not be able to save her.

Or anyone else in Safe Haven.

-

P.O.V. – Cameron

"You have to bring more of those next time," Cameron was gushing when her session with Jack ended. "They are so good!" The jackal had brought in a box of donuts that he'd made in culinary class, and they were good enough to make her momentarily forget her often debilitating fear (which had yet to die down since the battle in Carrie's office).

"I'll try!" Jack replied with a laugh, blushing at Cameron's praise. "I don't know if they'll be as good as they were this time, though..."

"Hey, come on now, Jack," Cameron broke in, giving him a knowing look. "Remember what we talked about? Confidence. Positivity. Always expect the best, even while you're preparing for the worst."