Chapter 1: Turning 18

It was September 28. The long - awaited day that the princess of the Kamisato Clan, Kamisato Ayaka, turned 18. She woke up, and got to her preparations. Brush her teeth, take a shower, wear her kimono and wait patiently for her maids.

Her maids scurried over to her, as they brushed her snow - white hair. They tied it into a long ponytail, leaving strands of hair decoratively hanging in front of her face. They clipped in her armored, bow - shaped headdress as usual, before tying small portions of her hair with coral - colored floral knots.

They help her adorn her Kamisato breastplate, knot together the large bow on the back of her dress and weave her vision into the center.

"Princess, you look as beautiful as ever," says one of her maids. "Why thank you, that is lovely of you to say," replies Ayaka, before getting to her feet, bowing polietly and leaving the room. She heaved a sigh as she made her way to breakfast.

 She arrives, as usual, the last to join the table. Ayato softly smiles at her, before speaking. "Good morning, Ayaka," he says. "Good morning to you too, brother," replies Ayaka, before taking her seat. "Ayaka, you're now 18. You do realize what this means?" asks her mother in a steely voice, keeping her eyes locked on Ayaka's own. "I do, mother. When are we meeting the clan whose prince I will be betrothed to?" she asks. "Today, at 3pm, we will be meeting the Nagonohara Clan to discuss your wedding to their prince," she replies.

"Lovely to hear," says Ayaka, before beginning her breakfast. Once she's finished with her breakfast, she follows her schedule as always and proceeds to head to her Shodō room. She puts on a timer and proceeds to dip her brush in ink, as she begins to write. She writes and writes, going through multiple scrolls of paper, until the timer buzzes. She wipes her forehead, which was glistening with sweat at this point.

She places down her pen, and puts away all her things. She spends the rest of the morning practicing with her sword, doing her best to make it as clear - cut and perfect as can be. Before long, it's time for lunch with the chosen Clan, and Ayaka leaves her things, and slips on her geta along with her brother. All four of them climb into the carriage and Ayaka sits near the window, and looks outside.

In just a couple months, her life will be completely turned upside down, married to a man she barely even knows. She sighs at the thought but has little time to dwell on it because they've reached the Nagonohara residence. A handsome, blond haired man with green eyes steps forward as soon as they are all out of the carriage. "Ah, Miss Kamisato. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Ryuunosuke Nagonohara. And I presume this is Ayaka?" he says, bowing deeply to her mother, before lightly kissing her outstretched hand.

"My daughter, Kamisato Ayaka," she says, pulling Ayaka forth. She bows deeply. "My, what pleasant manners. You've certainly been brought up well," he says, chuckling. "Let me lead the way," he says, walking into the residence, the Kamisato family following close. 

As they walk, Ryuunosuke talks about all the historical architecture and traditional additions they added to their residence. Ayaka had to admit, it was quite a beautiful place to live in. They reach the dining room, where three other people are seated. "Ah, Harumi!" exclaims a blonde - haired woman with golden eyes. She stands up and walks over to Ayaka's mother, before hugging her deeply. 

"And of course, this must be Ayaka and Ayato? Ah, look at how elegant you both turned out! Lovely to make your acquaintance," she says, vigorously shaking each of their hands. "These are my children, Thoma and Yoimiya!" she says, waving in their direction. She leads them to their chairs and pulls them out for both. Ayaka finds herself seated next to her mother and Ayato. They start eating, as idle chatter envelops the room, specially from Thoma's end of the room.

"Isn't he loud..." thinks Ayaka. Her thoughts are interrupted by the stunning female just opposite her. "Hey, Ayaka, if I'm correct? Nice to meet ya, I'm Yoimiya!" she says, extending her hand across the table. "A-Ah, yes, Miss Yoimiya," replies Ayaka, perplexed by her carefree manner of speech. "Yoimiya's enough, no need for the miss. So, how'd you find my place?" she says, chuckling. Ayaka, for once, is at a loss for words.

She can barely even think straight when she's around this girl. She notices Yoimiya's absolutely gorgeous honey - colored eyes, her coral - blonde hair perfectly secured into a short ponytail, with hair left on the sides and front, and her pale skin."Uh... hey, my eyes are over here!" says Yoimiya, waving a hand in front of Ayaka.. Ayaka reacts almost instinctively, and blushes a ferocious crimson once she realizes how out of place her mannerisms were. "Oh, I'm so sorry, please accept my apologies for not paying attention!" she whispers.

"Pfft, you're fine. So, back to my original question?" she repeats. "Oh, I find it quite majestic. The years of history and tradition woven into your place of residence everywhere I look is quite a sight to see. I am truly impressed," she replies, all in a single breath."Whoa, I didn't realize you liked it that much! So... you're marrying my brother, huh?" she asks, sighing wistfully. 

Ayaka questions why she sounded so sad about it, but nods in agreement. "Mother informed me of this ever since I was 13. I have been preparing for this moment for quite a while now. 'It is to unite our clans as well as share land, wealth, power and more,' as my mother says," replies Ayaka. 

"Yep. But what do you feel about this whole situation? You've kinda been thrust into it without your feelings really being considered," asks Yoimiya, slurping up her udon.

Notes:

Shōdo: Japanese calligraphy.

Geta: Traditional japanese foootwear resembling flip - flops.