Chapter 3: Preperations

"Thank you for informing us. Now, Ayaka, take a seat," says Ayaka's mother, patting the seat next to her. Ayaka walks forward, head held high and sits down with grace. Yoimiya stands behind her, until her mom gestures to the seat next to Ayaka. Yoimiya skips to her seat, but she could feel the glare of Ayaka's mother over her uncivilized behavior.

"Now, the prospect of your marriage. In 6 months, Kamisato Ayaka and Nagonohara Thoma will be wedded to unite our clans. Between now and then, the both of you will have to make multiple visits to different places together to get to know each other before the wedding so this can be as smooth as possible. Am I clear?" asks Ayaka's mother.

"Yes mother," replies Ayaka. "Yes, Miss Kamisato," replies Thoma.

"Good. Well, it's time for us to be on our way. To your feet, Ayaka, Ayato!" barks Harumi. Both immediately get to their feet and bow deeply. "Thank you very much for having us," they reply in unison. "Oh, no worries. No need for you to be so polite, we're all very comfortable around here with our manner of speech. At least inside the house," says Nozomi, with an afterthought. Everyone gets to their feet and the Kamisato family gracefully enter their carriage. Yoimiya waves to her.

"Bye-bye Ayaka, see you soon!" she yells, grinning. "Goodbye!" replies Ayaka, smiling. "Watch your step around that girl. She doesn't seem very trustworthy," says her mother, the second the Nagonohara family is out of sight. "Thank you very much, but I'll make my own assumptions about the people I meet," Ayaka replies, fiercely.

It immediately goes silent. "Did you just talk back to me?" asks her mother, a glint in her eyes. "Is that not how you carry a conversation?" retorts Ayaka. Ayato hears this and starts giggling. "Enough! I will not have this disrespect from either of you!" she shouts. "Harumi, calm down. They're growing up, you can't control them forever. They will grow up into lovely individuals, with their own views of the world," says her father.

"I'll take your opinion when I need to, Reiji," she shouts. "Thanks, father," replies Ayaka. "Anytime, my little Sakura," he says, ruffling her hair. "Don't do that! It will mess up her hair!" exclaims her mother. "Haru, can you just relax for a minute? We're almost home, and it's not like we need to keep up our elegant and regal mannerisms everywhere we are," he says, sighing. "I suppose so," she replies, finally quieting.

They step out of the carriage, and retreat to their own rooms. Ayaka reaches hers and finds Lumine standing there. "Ah, princess, welcome back," she says, smiling gently. "Lumine! You're back from your vacation?" she exclaims, hugging her.

"Yes, and I had a wonderful time. You on the other hand, look a lot happier than when I left. Did something happen?" she asks, patting a seat. Ayaka takes a seat and twiddling her thumbs together, she speaks. "We-We went to go meet the Nagonohara Clan today," she whispers. "Ahh, I presume that is the family whose son you are going to be married to?" she asks.

"Yes... Thoma Nagonohara. I am betrothed to him, but I met his sister, and she was... weird. She had such unorthodox mannerisms, truly something I haven't experienced much of, and it was quite relieving really, to have someone who's so relaxed with all the official rules and mannerisms I'm so used to. She was... quite nice," she mutters, her voice going quieter and quieter with each word, turning more and more red.

Out of nowhere, Lumine started giggling."What is it?" Ayaka asks. "Pfft, forgive me for saying this, but it seems like you have a crush on her!" she says. "Wait... WHAT?" exclaims Ayaka, crimson at this point.

"Oh, you definitely like her," replies Lumine. "Like... Yoimiya? Like romantically?? So girl crushes aren't just girl crushes but possibly me liking them?" asks Ayaka. "Ooh~ Pretty name. But yeah, 'girl crushes' as you call them aren't what you make of them. You definitely sound like you like this girl," she says, with a smug expression on her face. 

"No way. I can't possibly like Yoimiya. I am Kamisato Ayaka, eldest daughter of the Kamisato Clan, and I am betrothed to Thoma Nagonohara. I can't like anyone else, right?" she asks, confused. "Well, this wasn't a marriage you wanted, right? So yeah, it's perfectly fine to like someone else," replies Lumine, taking Ayaka's hand.

"Really? Whoa, I- I never thought of that," admits Ayaka. "It might do you good to convey your feelings to her, she could even like you back!" says Lumine. Ayaka feels a wave of euphoria rush through her body at the thought of Yoimiya potentially liking her back. She gets to her feet and spins on her feet before looking at Lumine. 

She slyly asks, "Are you in a relationship, Miss Lumine?"

Lumine smiles but with a shake of her head, she replies, "I'm . It means I find little to no sexual attraction to people. I can still be in a relationship though, but currently I am focused on my duties while I'm here in Inazuma. " Ayaka is thoughtful on the topic of not feeling sexual attraction as she wishes Lumine goodnight and goes to sleep. The next morning, Ayaka decides to go visit Yoimiya at the Nagonohara residence. Yoimiya opens the door; it's clear she just woke up as her honey - colored strands of hair going awry. 

Ayaka turns red at this sight, and the second Yoimiya realises it's Ayaka, she hastily tries to fix her hair.

"Pfft, Yoimiya, it's fine. I just wanted to hang out with you some more, because you're honestly the first real friend I made, and I had a lot of fun with you too," says Ayaka. Yoimiya grins at this and grabs Ayaka's arm and pulls her. They're running down the corridors, the wind in their hair and Yoimiya's eyes sparkling. She brings Ayaka to her room, and instictively tells Yoimiya her room is pretty.

Yoimiya then asks her to sit down, as she disappears behind the screen. She emerges in a glorious customised Kyudo outfit, her golden hair into a high bun, causing Ayaka to flush, yet again.

Notes:

Sakura - Cherry blossoms usually found in Japan.