031

july 8th, 2026
9:38 am

DEATH ALWAYS SEEMED so out of reach and outlandish

You knew it was supposed to happen eventually but knowing that never seemed to weaken the blow when a loved one was gone or when you could feel yourself slipping away.

Sunday had never lived without Henry before and the fact that she was forced to was making her feel alarmingly numb.

Her father was her favorite person and now she was stuck in a cruel world without him and his guidance.

Sunday sat in the backseat of Rafael's rental car, her eyes red from crying, a bruise from fainting yellowing on her collarbone and the only thing she could feel internally was the strong ache of grief.

It weighed down her tongue, her bones and her stomach, leaving Sunday unable to do any physical activity besides weep until her tear ducts had been ran dry.

Jeanette and Rafael were inside the Target that Rafael had parked at, getting snacks for the long trip to Kentucky.

Sunday rested her head onto the window, before gingerly picking up her phone from her lap and opening it.

Sunday tapped her father's contact, pressed the phone to her ear and waited for his voicemail, "Hello, this is Henry Howard. My apologies for not being able to come to the phone right now but I'll call you back as soon as possible."

As soon as it ended, Sunday called him again, not ready to let go of the sound of his voice.

A rap on the window caused Sunday to jump lightly in surprise and then roll the window down.

It was Kimberly without her usual bubbly smile.

Sunday raised an eyebrow at her appearance, "Hello?"

"Hi. Um, can you step out so we can talk?" Kimberly asked.

"Are you stalking me?" Sunday asked.

"No. This is my usual Target. Can you come out so we can talk?" Kimberly repeated, brushing

"No." Sunday said immediately, "I can promise you that I'm not in the mood for whatever you're about to say."

Sunday pressed her finger onto the button that controlled the car window so it begin to roll up.

"Fine. I guess we can do this here. Do you have anything to say for yourself?" Kimberly asked with no preamble.