Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Alma actually smiled when I came to work that next day. She grinned and handed me a newspaper, pointing to the crossword.

"Ahhh...I never took you for a crossword lady."

She shrugged.

"Okay. Let's see here. I suck at these things Alma."

I chuckled and ended up googling the answers on my phone. I filled them in and then clicked on my Facebook app. 23 new notifications. Man I hadn't been on here for a while. Most of them were friend requests but then I noticed someone had messaged me. Nicholas Duncan. Wow. Star track star and star athlete in general. I'd talked to him a few times in high school and I think he had been my chemistry lab partner. Why was he sending me a message? He'd always had the most popular girlfriends. Cheerleader types of course.

*Leigh I think you slipped out after graduation with not as much as a goodbye. Maybe we can catch up some time?*

I smiled. Why would a guy like him want to catch up with a girl like me? I clicked on his profile pic.

"Alma what do you think about this guy? Do you think he's cute?"

I held up my phone and Alma leaned forward giving me a thumbs up. The message was from last night. Should I even respond? I sighed and typed a short, polite reply.

*Sure! You name the time and place.*

I cursed myself for the exclamation point, telling myself that so wasn't necessary. A few hours later, after Alma's shower and lunch, the telephone rang. I ran into the kitchen, retrieving it. The caller ID read, LANDON, RAY. Great! Just great!

"Hello?"

"Yeah, hey. It's Ray. Alma's sister is coming over there. Paige thought you should know."

"Oh okay. So your aunt?"

"Yeah. What kind of question is that?"

"Sorry. I'll let Alma know."

He hung up without saying anything else, nothing. I didn't know why I got so nervous around him. Why was I always so polite to him when all he had been was a jerk to me? I decided right then that I would steer clear and avoid conversation with him.

"Hey Alma, your sister is coming."

Alma's palm made contact with her forehead and I chuckled.

"What, you don't like her?"

She shook her head no and slumped into her chair, faking sleep. Even when her sister, Evelyn arrived, she didn't open her eyes.

"So you're the new gal Paige hired? How's she been doing?"

"Really great! Alma is sweet as can be."

"She doesn't talk Hun." She said, adjusting her hideous glasses farther up on her nose.

"Yes ma'am I know that but she has a great since of humor and..."

"She just sits there. You're not going to get much out of her sweetie."

No wonder Alma hates her. Must be where Ray gets all the attitude from. And why in hell did she just call me sweetie?

"Hey miss you might be her sister but I won't sit here while you talk bad about..."

"Excuse me. I am family."

"Yes ma'am. You are. I apologize."

I clamped my eyes shut as she gathered her things. Damn, why did I do that? I heard the door slam shut and Alma's eyes opened, an amused smirk taking over her face.

"That woman..."

I laughed with Alma for practically ten minutes, having the best time. Who knew I would enjoy this so much.

..............................

"Don't forget that tomorrow is Friday. You don't work so don't come."

I glared at Ray, wondering how rude he could get.

"Yeah I know."

"Did she eat well?"

"Yes."

"You sure? You don't sound like it."

I rolled my eyes.

"Look I get that you don't like me but..."

"Not personal but I know you can't do this job."

"Alright. You've made that clear."

I grabbed my jacket, keys and phone.

"Goodbye Alma. See you Monday."

Ray stood in my way of the front door so I just brushed past him and went on my way. No way was I being polite to that dirt bag. Not anymore.