Chapter 47

Chapter 47

*wedding day*

"Oh god I'm going to throw up."

Paige stepped back to examine her work with my dress and hair then turned to Alma who was planted in her wheelchair.

"Pearls or no pearls?"

I looked at Alma willing her to speak. I knew she could do it.

"Pearls." She squeaked and Paige dropped my necklace to the ground, beads going everywhere.

"Momma? Did you just..."

She turned slowly as Alma grabbed her daughters hand smiling.

"I love you sweetie." Alma told her.

I had never seen Paige so happy. It's like all the stress she'd been through the past few weeks diminished, leaving an ecstatic woman with so much love.

"Oh mom." She cried and I could feel my tears coming.

I was so dang proud of Alma. She winked at me and I let out a half laugh, half sob. So this is what happiness feels like.

"Oh no! Your make up will run! Dry those tears." Paige ordered, fanning my eyes with her magazine.

"I might start crying when I see Ray anyway."

I thought of Nick. He hadn't returned my calls or texts. I hadn't seen him and he hadn't showed yet. I wouldn't blame him if he didn't come. I knew it would be hard on him. I even knew that it might be hard on me to see him here.

"Leigh, focus!" Paige said, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

I nodded, letting out a nervous laugh. I wanted to see Ray already but a part of me was nervous as hell for what was about to happen.

"It's almost time." Paige informed me.

I breathed deeply trying to ready myself just before I heard a loud banging sound coming from down the hall.

"Move! I have to get in there!" I heard a familiar voice yell.

I turned to Paige confused as the door to the room we were in flew open.

"Please tell me I'm not late."

I gasped and threw my arms around my best friend.

"You came." I breathed.

"Do you think I would miss your wedding day? God you're beautiful." Nick said into my hair.

He dried my tears that had managed to fall as Paige reapplied some powder.

'I love you.' Nick mouthed, blowing me a kiss before exiting the room. I smiled. I was ready now. I was really ready. With Nick's support, I could do this.

"Ready?" Paige asked.

"I've never been more ready."

I was so nervous as the doors opened. All eyes were on me and many gasps were heard but my first instinct was to run out and curl into a ball. I took in a breath and smiled, my heart rate picking up as I took in the sight of Ray. He literally took my breath away. I'd never seen him in a tux and the sight had my heart melting. As the wedding march began to play, he slowly looked up, his golden eyes meeting mine. A grin spread across his pink lips and I smiled continuing to look at him. Something captured my attention beside me and I looked over to find my parents sitting in a pew right beside where I was currently walking. They smiled at me, so much shame in their eyes. I smiled because I was tired of fighting and I just couldn't deny the fact that I was at least happy they were here. I turned my attention back to the front of the church and Nick was staring at me, tears running down his flushed cheeks. I silently cursed him for making me emotional but then he smiled so big like this was the happiest day of his life and winked at me. I knew he did that for my benefit. I smiled to myself, my attention fully on my groom now. I got closer and closer, something about the fact making me nervous. But as Ray's hand enclosed around mine I let out a sigh of relief. I knew everything would be okay and I was so excited for this to become official. I could barely focus on the priest with Ray's eyes on me. He was so mesmerizing and all I could think about was the fact that he was about to be my husband. Mine. My eyes focused on the church window, the light pouring in through the stained glass. I smiled, silently telling Alexa that I loved her and that things were good down here. I liked to believe that she was watching this happen. I wanted her to know that I was alright now.