Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Nick slammed his platter down on the counter, his fork falling onto the floor. I was almost surprised the ceramic plate didn't shatter to pieces.

"So that's it?"

He looked up at me, hurt all over his face.

"That's it for us? Things were going great. I opened up to you. I told you how I felt about you! You're telling me that was all a freaking waste?"

"No! It wasn't!"

"And how do you figure that Leigh? Huh? You know how I felt about you!"

When tears started forming in his eyes, I felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest.

"Nick I don't want to lose you."

"Then pick me. I know that you feel something for me."

I looked around Meg's diner and slipped out of my booth seat, moving to sit on his right beside him.

"Nick."

A tear slipped down his tanned cheek and he angrily wiped it away. I wrapped my arm around his body. He tried to push me away but it only made me hold him tighter, not wanting to lose the best friend I've ever had.

"Don't push me away."

"You're already doing that to me."

"No I'm not. I want us to stay friends."

"I want you. I don't know why you don't understand that."

Nick was making me second guess my decisions but I knew I had to stick to my guns and realize that I knew me better than anybody. I knew what I wanted now. Alexa had always told me to follow my heart even if it was difficult. I now knew how it could be hard to follow your heart. They always said, "when one door closes, another one opens". I say that sometimes that is true in reverse.

"I'm sorry Nick. You don't know how sorry I am."

"Do you love this guy Leigh?"

"Love?...I..."

"Well? Do you?"

"I...yes."

"Well then I can let you go but I'm not giving up. I'm going to be waiting right here when he breaks your heart."

I squeezed his shoulder

"So does this mean I'm going to lose..."

"No. You're my best friend too." He told me, pulling me into a hug.

..........................

Ray was waiting outside my apartment when I got there. I pulled out my keys from my purse, giving him a questioning look.

"I had to make sure you came home."

I shook my head, knowing that he didn't want me to stay out late with Nick.

"Why did you leave with him anyway?"

Ray still looked a little hurt by me leaving him like I did.

"I told him that I wanted you." I muttered, unlocking my door.

"What?"

I turned around so that I could look him in the eyes. He looked so surprised.

"Wait, is that not what you wanted to hear?" I panicked.

He let out a loud chuckle.

"That's all I've wanted for a long time."

I smiled, collapsing onto my couch. I was exhausted.

"Well good. Hey, where is Ben?"

"He's spending the night with Paige."

"Oh."

Ray laid down practically on top of me.

"Ray! I can't breathe!"

I giggled when he started tickling my sides.

"And I'm c-claustrophobic."

"Well you better get over it."

I laughed and was relieved when he repositioned us so that I was now halfway on the couch and halfway on top of him, my head rested on his chest. I fell asleep like that with the TV playing in the background and Ray running his fingers through my waves I had taken down from their braid.

A/N

Ray is so perfect in my eyes. In my eyes, he has no faults. He's probably one of my favorite characters I have created. Vote, comment, and share. Love you all!

Faith <3