Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Saturday came so quickly and I spent all day shopping, trying to find a decent outfit to wear. What do people even wear on dates? A dress, I guess. I found a flattering; form fitted back dress that reached mid-thigh along with some cute silver flats. I was already tall enough so I decided against the shiny black pumps I had noticed in the shoe department.

When Nick called at six-thirty, I gave him directions to my apartment and he arrived within the next half hour. I answered the door and he pulled me into a hug.

"Hey Leigh, It's good to see you. You look...wow. Beautiful."

I smiled, my cheeks warming. His blondish hair was long but not too long and his eyes were that same crystal blue I remembered them being. I took in his suit and the rose in his hand.

"You look great too. Wow. You went all out, the suit and...a rose?"

He smirked as I took the rose from his hand.

"Should we go?"

"Yeah so I was thinking we could walk into the city and then take a taxi to the restaurant but we can also drive if you'd rather..."

"No, no. I love walking the streets at night and it only takes a few minutes to get into Portland on foot."

"Great!"

I took some leftovers down to Fred on the way out, receiving a curious look from Nick.

"You feed the homeless." He said, as we walked away from my apartment building.

"Just Fred."

Nick laughed and surprisingly wrapped his arm around my shoulders. He was taller than me, by a few inches anyway.

I looked over at his amused expression then back down to the pavement.

"Leigh! Leigh!" I looked up to see Ben approaching us, Ray jogging to keep up.

Because of the nearing darkness, I could only see their outlines until they got closer. Ray was wearing a smile that for some reason faded when he got closer.

"Oh hi, I...didn't realize you were on a date. Ben wanted to surprise you with the new Bond movie. We thought you'd like it." Ray explained, holding the DVD up.

"Oh my goodness Ben, That was a spectacular idea." I complimented, lifting him up to hug him.

This caused Nick's hand to fall down by his side. Ray and Nick stood there awkwardly exchanging glances back and forth.

"Oh right, this is Nick. Nick, this is Ray and Ben."

Ray and Nick shook hands politely.

"Hi. Nice to meet you Ray."

"Yeah you too."

Ben tapped my leg.

"Is that your boyfriend?" He asked quietly.

Ray rubbed his head, trying to quiet him.

"Ben buddy don't be rude."

I knelt down so that I was face to face with Ben. His eyes were just like Ray's, that same golden, honey brown color. They were beautiful.

"Ben, Nick and I are friends."

"Like me and you!"

I laughed.

"Yeah, like me and you." I repeated.

"Well here's the movie. We better get going."

Ray seemed so short as he handed me the movie and led Ben in the opposite direction, only muttering a quiet goodbye.

"Cute kid."

I looked away from their descending silhouettes and back to Nick.

"Yeah he is."

...........................

"This place is so fancy. Are you sure..."

"Pick anything you'd like. It's no problem."

At the restaurant, there seemed to be nothing on the menu under twenty-five dollars and I found myself realizing I'd be more than satisfied with a PB&J. I didn't care about the restaurant. Actually, I felt out of my element completely in this setting. I felt underdressed and self-conscious, which was not normal for me. But Nick didn't seem to notice. He was talking about Hawaii.

Nick was nice and not boring at all but as the night went on, I found myself zoning out and looking down at the James Bond movie sticking out of my purse. I wanted to watch it and tried to picture how the night would've gone if I would have been alone in my apartment when they arrived. Would I have invited them in to watch the movie with me? Would we have lounged on my comfy couch in my living room? Would I have gotten the chance to talk more with Ray? I guess I'd never know. It's not like Ray is fond of me, he just tolerates me. The increasing certainty that Ray would never be interested in me, had me paying full attention to Nick and by the end of the night, we were already making plans for the following weekend after he kissed me on the cheek at my apartment door.