Chapter 3

'No, maybe it's not that bad. Maybe guy X is actually a good person. Yes, and he's been courting me to be his girlfriend for 6 months, right? Yes, calm down, Cess,' I uplifted myself.

*Beep* The car stopped. Guy X went down and opened the car's door beside me. "My lady, we're here," he smiles while offering his hand to me. I stared at his palm and went out on my own without holding his hand. He kept on smiling, and we just walked to the bar.

The sun is setting. I look upward at the blended orange and red sky. Then I look forward and see guy X. He opened the door for me. 'Isn't he actually kind?' I thought. After a long while, I flashed a genuine, subtle, smile. Then we entered.

I can smell them: the scent of citrus and alcohol, the punch of perfume.

We sat face-to-face on two chairs around a circle table. We are near the colorfully lighted dance floor. Ah! I have a cellphone, why haven't I thought of it?

~ ~ ~

[Few minutes earlier]

Ruie is in the province of his departed parents. At the graves, he talks where no one else is around as if he is talking to the air. He tells his parents about his life, storytelling of the recent events, and how much he loves his childhood friend, Cecilia. Cecilia might not know yet, but Ruie thought that at least he could let the wind deliver this confession to his parents in Heaven.

He also tells them how his lips crease upward when he sees Cecilia, and how he frowns when she acts tough and tells him she's okay though she's not.

Ruie told himself that he will make Cecilia the woman of his life. That, he promised himself. He reminisced the golden memories between Cecilia and him when they were at the wishing fountain. He smiled when he remembered that his coin fell into the second circle of the fountain, but Cecilia's three coins all went to the center circle. 

He muttered to himself, "Cess. My Ce-" 

*ring, ring*

The sound of his phone interrupted his monologue. He looks at his phone and sees that Cecilia is calling him. Ruie's expression softened.

He pressed the green button, and he heard Cecilia's voice.

~ ~ ~

[Back to Cecilia's Point of View]

I'm looking inside my bag to get my phone.

"Oh, you don't have to worry, my Cessy, I'll be the one to pay for our bills tonight. Order whatever you like," guy X said as he handed me the bar's menu.

I looked at him and said, "Okay, I'll just go to the comfort room for a while." "Sure, go ahead. We have all the time we need tonight."

In the women's comfort room inside a cubicle, I took my phone out. I hurried to look for Ruie's name in the contact numbers' list. 

*Ring, ring*

In contrast to my unsettled voice, a soothing voice spoke, "Cess, you called. How are you?" "Uhh, I'm alright. Anyway..." I told Ruie the summary of what happened earlier. "What!? You're with that guy? Where are you?" "I'm alright. Don't worry." "Cess, where are you?" "At a bar." "What!!? Tell me the address right away. I'll get you." "Uhh, I don't know the exact address but it's ten minutes away from the cafe and... and... ah! I remembered that it is called 'Bar In Somnium.'"

"Bar In Somnium? Okay, okay. I'll be there." Ruie drove from another province to the bar as fast as the roads' maximum speed allowed.

*Sigh* I went out of the comfort room and saw that the bar's hosts are at the elevated stage near the dance floor. "Dear customers, welcome to Bar In Somnium!" A host professionally spoke. Another host announced, "Yes! This is gonna be your best day ever! We have prepared several programs tonight for our dear customers like you." "First, a musician will be playing the piano. Next, the dance floor will be open to everyone who wants to dance. Third, there will be a surprise event. Lastly, we want you to know that you can even spend the night here in our rooms that can be rented." In unison, they said, "Enjoy!" 

*Melodic piano begins to play*

"Cessy, how exciting, right?" Guy X smiled at me but it just made me more uncomfortable. "What do you want to eat?" He asks as he gives me the menu again.

I just picked the most pricey dish and juice as a revenge. Actually, no, I couldn't afford to do that, so it's really the opposite. I just picked french fries, dynamites and ordered water for my beverage.

I tried to make myself at ease. 'All this time, whenever I see guy X, I mistake him for my past exes. He did nothing wrong. I should be clearing my thoughts up. He's a different person than them,' I thought to myself.

"Alastor, I'm sorry for all this time." I was looking downwards when I said this to guy X, no, to Alastor. A smirk appeared on his face but it quickly vanished, replaced by a polite smile, "Oh, no worries." "I was always mistaking you for some people who hurted me in the past. I cannot promise you that I'll be your girlfriend but I can say yes to be your friend," I told Alastor.

"You will? Wow! And I just noticed, you're finally calling me by my name. Wow."

For some time, we ate, talking into deeper conversations. I felt sympathy for him. He's actually better than I thought.

Upbeat music begins to play and people start to dance. "Do you wanna dance?" I replied that I'm alright watching them dance. "I'll go to the counter for a while," Alastor told me. "Sure."

I checked my phone to see what time it is already. It's past 8 PM this Monday night.

Alastor went back with a waiter that brought two glasses of wine. The waiter placed the glasses of wine on the table. "Will you join me for a drink?" Alastor asked me. "Rather, can I just have a glass of water?" Alastor smiled and said, "Sure. Waiter, get that glass of water over there." 

I drank the water. I tapped my fingers on the table repeatedly, and when I'm about to say bye, I yawned instead. "Cessy."

*cough, cough, deep breaths*

"Haa~ Alastor, I have to go. It's past 8 PM already."

"You're leaving already? We're just getting started. But okay, lemme help you on your way."

I stood up, but my vision's getting a little blurry. My legs feel so weak that I almost tripped. Alastor supported me with his arms around my shoulder. I tried to push him away, but my body couldn't. Sleepy, I closed my eyes.