Chapter 17

ON A BREEZY MONDAY morning, Scarlet entered Winter Bay with determination. The last conversation she had with Ms. Stanford replayed in her head to the point where she expected to be treated like a human being, with respect and decency. None of that venom-spitting talk should come about on that day. So Scarlet woke up with hope in her heart. After a big burst of reassurance from her mother, she was almost entirely sure she would have a good day.

The half-dead students around her begged to differ.

She shrugged it off. The usual Monday gloom settled over everyone as they slumped forward at the realization that the weekend had ended. But she looked through a glossy filter, showing the faint sparkles in the air as she breathed in the outside air—a hint of salt and a whiff of smoke.

Her footsteps added to the slow trail of students yawning and looking for their first class. She headed for her locker, a rare occurrence so early in the day, but she had time to kill. When she made it, she swung her bag to the front of her body and emptied most of it, promising to get her books when she needed them throughout her day.

"My eyes are deceiving me."

Scarlet grinned and faced Sierra, who stood in the middle of the hall, jaw on the floor.

"Dude, are you like okay?" Sierra asked, staring at her as if she would disappear in a second. "This is so freaking weird."

"I don't know, it feels like a good day," Scarlet explained, looking around as if mesmerized by her less than average public school. Never mind the faint cracks in the walls or the dim lighting, she saw everything bright and vibrant. "Woke up super early, too."

"I'm a little concerned, Scar," Sierra teased. "Why don't we walk you to your class before you start skipping on everyone here. Don't want to cause panic in these poor weak souls."

Scarlet rolled her eyes, but started walking down the halls beside her. Sierra spoke about her daydreams to move to the neighboring town, Lockfell. It was like a bigger Hales Bay without the feuding high schools and countless opportunities up for grabs.

The heart of the town catered to young adults, with coffee shops, art museums, and theaters. Scarlet had gone there once or twice with her friends, but she usually passed by whenever her mother had bigger medical appointments in the big city.

Sierra always talked about moving out after high school, and her dream got closer to reality. "I practically got a full scholarship to Lockfell U," she announced. Scarlet stopped walking and studied her sparkling green eyes. "I just need to cover housing, so I'm looking into getting an apartment."

"Sierra, oh my gosh!" Scarlet cut her off with a bear hug. "This is so great. I'm so happy for you."

Her friend stepped away, smiling like never before. "It all tastes like hope, and I'm so excited."

Scarlet beamed and her pulse thrummed at the news of upcoming chapters. Sierra deserved to get a good education, even if it was an easy drive from Hales Bay. (Although it could take forty minutes on a good day). After the tough upbringing she had to endure, she could be unapologetically herself without anyone else's input.

They continued walking, nearing Ms. Stanford's classroom. Sierra waved at a few students, who weren't as eager to return the gesture with as much enthusiasm. Bonny Park waved hello in response shyly, her eyes glimmering at the interaction.

Scarlet sighed and tightened her grip on her bag as her English classroom got closer. A familiar mop of dark hair made her zero in on Elliot, leaning against a locker. When he shifted in his position, she followed the movements on his back. She shot down the memory of grasping for him and pulling him closer.