Chapter 45

"WHERE IS SHE?" A wild Sierra cried in the middle of the crowd. The people made way for four girls to run down the halls, all reaching out for Scarlet, who still lied on the ground pressed up against Jake.

She lifted her head to greet her friends as they kneeled in front of her, searching for anything wrong. From the outside, she had no wounds, though she suspected Elliot's grip left marks around her neck. On the inside, she leaked a dark crimson from all the unsuspecting hits she took.

"What did he do to you?" Sierra asked. Her face contorted as if she was in pain. "Are you okay?"

Scarlet opened her mouth to speak, but closed it when she couldn't find the words. She and Jake had almost been killed, but justice was served.

"Everyone!" Ms. Stanford called out, waving her arms in the air. "Can I get everyone's attention? We are going to be filing out of the backstage halls, if you could please follow Mr. Williams at the door to lead you out."

Scarlet sighed as the space cleared out, halting the noisy chatter at the slam of the door.

"Scar?" Gwenn asked.

She met her stare and formed the smallest smile—the corners of her lips quirked up for a fraction of a second, just to show that she was okay. Not great. But okay. Her body remained intact. She inhaled and exhaled as anyone would.

She was okay.

In theory.

"Did he really have acid on him?" Zilla asked, looking out where Sheriff Merlo walked out with an arrested Elliot.

"Yeah," Jake confirmed. "Its effects probably made him act out."

"I'm glad that's over and done with," Aura exclaimed. She ran a hand over her hair, further emphasizing its waves. "Now he's out of your life, Scar."

With her throat all clogged up, all she could do was nod. Elliot was apprehended. He would no longer be her problem. After everything, she should have been relieved. A weight should have been lifted off her shoulders.

Why did she feel like the weight pressed harder against her?

Time suspended itself before her. She looked around the hallway to find her friends studying her. An emptiness inside left her frowning. The idea that perhaps what had just happened wasn't real had her at the ready, waiting for the real showdown to occur.

But nothing happened.

"Ms. Turner."

Sheriff Merlo opened the stage door slowly. He had a cautious gait, similar to inching towards a rabid animal, as he approached her.

"How did you guys get here so quickly?" Jake asked. Scarlet closed her eyes, thankful that he thought to ask exactly what she wanted to.

"Got an anonymous tip from someone in here," Merlo said. "Apparently they heard the ruckus outside."

Scarlet lifted her gaze to his. "Is he gone now?" Her voice rasped harder as if she had gone to a raging concert and screamed all night.

"He's done for," Merlo confirmed. "He'll never bother you or anyone you love again."

"Thank you," she whispered.

Silence infiltrated the space, and Scarlet found it hard to breathe in between intervals.

"It was the right thing to do," Merlo said, almost like an afterthought. "After you called me, I took a peek at the case... for old times' sake. Everything was so odd with this 'robber.' Not a single valuable item was taken from your home. They probably would have if that's what they intended to do in the first place. I had a gut feeling they would hit again."

Scarlet swallowed at the new information. Elliot hit again, alright.

"Thanks for helping out, Sheriff," Jake said. He sounded a little off-putting, no doubt still in a daze from the attack.

"Of course," Merlo muttered. He took another glance at Scarlet. "Do you need any medical attention? Paramedics are outside. I'm sure you both need to be checked out. And Jake Miller, right?" He paused but didn't wait for any confirmation. "Your parents are waiting for you. Why don't I walk you all out?"

"That would be nice, Sheriff," Sierra answered for all of them.

Walking out felt like being struck in the face. Everyone stared as they all stumbled out of the entrance, Sheriff Merlo in tow. Jake escorted her to the nearest ambulance, when both Mr. and Mrs. Miller ran to them.

"Oh, you're okay!" Mrs. Miller grabbed onto Jake's face, checking every corner to make sure he was alright before settling those blue eyes on her. "Scarlet, darling! Oh, let me take a look at you."

Her slender fingers cupped her face, icy cold on her skin. "I'm okay," Scarlet whispered.

A paramedic began checking over her when Mrs. Miller stepped away. Everyone examined her neck, asking her questions to check if she was conscious. She responded as much as she could, fumbling over her words.

Jake got a handful of questions too. Most people wanted to know everything that happened backstage while the cast continued performing. Detective Faulkner and Detective Barry noted what Jake recounted.

She was too out of her head to say anything, so they promised to come back to her later.

"This is too insane," Sierra said, sitting beside her on the back of the ambulance. The audience filtered out of the auditorium, still buzzing over the arrest. Some asked what would be of the play since it was all meant for Major Warren's fiftieth birthday.

Gwenn, Aura, and Zilla circled back, murmuring to one another. Most likely about everything going on, like everyone else. Jake stayed with his parents, convincing them that he was fine. Scarlet overheard Mr. Miller asking if that was the same Elliot who broke his nose.

"I can't believe Noelle Miller touched your face," Aura said, jumping onto the platform. "She's such a badass journalist. And she looks good doing it too."

"A, Scarlet is still in shock about everything," Gwenn reminded her. Aura mumbled an apology before ogling at Jake's parents.

"Ay, she really has no filter," Zilla said.

"Everyone!" Ms. Stanford called out of a megaphone. Scarlet winced at the noise. "Because of these unforeseen circumstances, we have decided to postpone our first function. Mayor Warren understands and will be coming back next week for the amazing performance of Lexton Prep's and Winter Bay's Romeo and Juliet. The tickets you bought today will be accepted as per usual. Hope to see you then!"

Scarlet pressed her hand over her throbbing forehead. The roar of the audience was too intense. Sierra squeezed her shoulder reassuringly.

"This stupid play refuses to die," Scarlet complained.

Jake approached them, holding out his hand for Scarlet. "Do you all mind if I steal Scarlet from you guys?"

Aura sighed beside her. "Like a true Romeo."

"Ignore her," Gwenn interrupted.

Scarlet let him pull her off the ambulance. "Where are we going?"

"My place," he explained, covering her hand with both of his as if to keep it warm. "My parents are cool with you staying over, if you want...?" He trailed off.

"Yes," she whispered, stepping closer to him. He wrapped an arm around her body. "Get me out of here, Romeo."

Jake pressed a kiss to her forehead. "Gladly."

"