Chapter 35

THE DARK BURGUNDY SLIP-ON dress fell down her body in a tight cascade of velvet until it reached the skin above her knees. The unfamiliar material came from the back of her mother's closet. After giving up searching the madness that was her closet, her mother went to her own collection of clothes and fished out what she used to wear when she was younger.

Scarlet wasn't prepared to see such a dark item in her collection, but there it was. Her mother's eyes glistened when she held it up to her, so she put it on without questioning.

She wasn't even sure what Jake had planned, but the dress was formal and casual enough to pass for anything. Or so she hoped.

Her nails scrunched up the hem as she waited by the front door, legs bouncing while she glued her eyes on her phone screen. The time grew closer to five o'clock, so her pulse jumped every few seconds. He would be there soon.

"I haven't seen you this nervous since your father's funeral," her mother commented as she made her way to the dining table and took a seat.

"Way to go dark, Mom," Scarlet replied. The hazy smile on her mother's face eased some of her nerves. But that all flushed down the toilet the moment the doorbell rang.

Scarlet faced the door, not knowing whether to proceed or stay put in her position. The latter felt the most comfortable until her mother urged her to go open the door.

After rubbing her palms against the fabric of her dress, she turned the knob to greet Jake standing on the other side. His bright smile caused an eruption of butterflies inside her stomach.

When she heard of people getting butterflies, she always thought it was a small flutter, like a soft graze of silk tickling inside. Whenever she came face to face with Jake Miller, organs that weren't supposed to move had the desire to dance. Butterfly flutters felt like hits inside her body. It was as if at any second, she'd have to run to the bathroom to puke her guts out. And it didn't even matter that he still had a splint on his swollen nose.

"Hey," she managed.

Jake brought a bouquet of the reddest roses from behind his back. "For my Juliet."

Scarlet extended her hands for the bouquet, hoping to hide the deep blush behind the rose petals. "Thank you."

"Scarlet," a hushed whisper came from a few feet away. Her mother waved her hand from where she sat, wanting to bring Jake inside. Scarlet froze and then relaxed under the weight of being in the presence of the most important person in her life and someone that quickly stepped up to a top position there.

"Jake, would you like to come in?" She let out. His eyes shined as he stepped forward.

It was an odd scene. Watching one of the richest guys in all of Hales Bay walking inside a normal three-bedroom house. To most people, Scarlet's house would be like a piece of heaven with a big side of blessings. But to Jake, it would be nothing but a small portion of what he was used to having at his fingertips.

His face went into shock before a polite smile adorned his lips. "You must be Mrs. Turner," he directed to her mother before Scarlet could properly introduce them.

Her mother was up in a flash. Scarlet resisted the urge to reach her arms for her just in case, but she was fine. She held out a hand for Jake to shake.

"And you must be Jake," she said. "I've heard quite a bit about you. Though I must say, mostly from her friends."

They both laughed as Scarlet smothered a gasp with a scoff.

"Well, excuse me, I'm not gonna tell you everything..." Scarlet trailed off. Some things were better left unsaid, and she stood by that.

"Yes, please don't tell me everything," her mother pleaded. "Although I hope my daughter is treated with respect and kept safe at all times."