Chapter 9 - Of the Past

For the most part, she was lucky to have forgotten the emotions tied to her past.

She couldn't remember.

Couldn't think.

Couldn't fathom.

Couldn't reminisce.

Couldn't

Couldn't

Couldn't

Couldn't

Bound by something even she herself couldn't...no....cannot remember.

This is why she can smile so freely as she does now, in the presence of an acquaintance and one who she considered a friend, people who she has barely known for a lot less than her age.

She's less cautious, tamed by the peaceful passing of time.

Her emotions less controlled.

"Albedo, how has your research been progressing? I read about you growing curious of a certain someone in the last letter."

"Ah, that one was completed not too long ago. With the help of the Traveler, the time taken was less than the predetermined one."

She grabs a stray blank parchment, snatching the quill from its holder and scribbling messily. In a coaxing motion, she waves Albedo over to his table.

There's been smeone behind. Tag-a-long.

"Are these some of the notes you've compiled?" Adalia let out a small sound of wonder. "It is quite a sight."

"I'll admit, for a week's worth of research, this isn't much." The alchemist gently takes the pen. "Improvements could be made here and here. Maybe over here as well."

Do you know who?

She grabs another stray quill, scribbling quickly.

No. Following long time, stop at cave.

Paimon and Aether were left confused, feeling more as if they've intruded rather than paying a visit now. In a state of rigid awkwardness, he slowly starts to take steps backwards, the crunch of snow under his boots too loud not to be noticed.

Adalia quickly stopped his actions. "Aether, you participated in this experiment as well, correct? Come over."

The blonde trudges his way across and looks over their shoulders, wondering how he could be of any use when he didn't know much about Durin's taint anyways. But he's proven wrong when he reads the words etched onto the paper, realizing quickly the situation at hand.

Albedo hums in thought. "I think it's best you two rest here for the night, light is disappearing quickly and I doubt either of you like the near Snezhnayan weather the night brings."

Stay for the night. The stalker shouldn't be able to last too long outside.

"Yeah! Paimon almost turned into an ice block once while Aether was exploring at night."

Adalia smiles. "I do suppose it would be too late to venture down the mountain. You cannot conduct your usual late night experiments though, are you certain?"

"It just means I'd have to do them now," He's already messing with the equipment. "Though I will ask for your help to make the process faster."

Paimon floats behind the Traveler. "Paimon isn't your lab rat, so don't go thinking you can make me drink that nasty, glowing stuff again!"

The alchemist chuckles, hands still smoothly arranging vials and flasks to his liking, mixing liquids together all the while.

"Contrary to what you've thought up," He raises a vial with a soft golden glow. "This is for the Magi."