This is us

'Still no answer?'

Damian looked up from his phone and shook his head. He let out a lengthy sigh as his eyes moved rapidly around the room looking everywhere but at the woman sitting across the table from him. She flicked her wavy chocolate coloured hair to the other side, smirking behind her coffee cup every time his jaw clenched with tension.

'Maybe she was delayed. I'm sure she'll return the 800 messages and missed calls that she'll be welcomed to once she switches her phone back on.'

Damian sighed again, this time loudly signalling his irritation.

'If she ever switches it back on.' The fair-skinned lady with her sharp features quietly hissed before taking a sip of her double espresso. 'Maybe Jack is right about this Damian. Is this really something you want to get into with some rando?'

'For fucks sake Ro, can we not do this please?' Damian forcefully pushed his chair back from the table. 'and just for the record Jack doesn't know shit about her or the situation, so can both of you just mind your own business.' he stood up and threw some cash on the table to cover the cost of their order. 'I'll meet you back at the hotel later.'

'Damian.' Rosie forcefully called out his name causing him to pause before storming off. 'We're not fighting you on this, we support you and whatever decision you make. We're just looking out for you.'

'I'm not 12 years old, I don't know why you have both assigned yourselves as my guardians. I know what I'm doing.' He snapped back instantly.

Rosie softened her glare as she rested back in her chair. 'I know that Damian, as your friend I just care, as the producer of this assignment,' she paused momentarily to draw in a deep breath. 'If you pull another disappearing act like you just did... you're out. We haven't got time for your bullshit and if you lose this Damian, work is going to become more and more difficult for you to find.'

'I know Ro, work comes first, right.' he turned away from the table and stepped out into the busy street, instantly disappearing into the hustle and bustle of the mass crowds of people trying to make their way through the hectic streets of Rome.

He kept his head down as he walked swiftly in the opposite direction of the hoards of people making their way towards the Trevi fountain and made his way along Via di Sant Andrea delle Fratte, feeling a pang in his chest at every couple cosily seated along the stretch of the road enjoying their pizza and date night. As he reached Piazza Mignanelli he took a right turn in favour of the quiet back street offering some rest bite from the swarms of people congregating around the Spanish steps. The crowds of people quickly reformed as he finally reached the road in front of his elaborate 5-star hotel which on the outside could have been any hotel in the world. Spotting a gap in the traffic he darted across the road, through the top to bottom glass entrance and into the large reception area, nodding briefly at the gentleman behind the large dark wooden welcome desk as he crossed the white marble floor and headed towards the lift to his room.

'Cheer up young man.' A small elderly lady appeared next to him as he waited for the lift.

Damian offered a warm smile in response.

'I'm sure she'll come round.' The lady smiled to herself as she adjusted her many shopping bags.

'Excuse me?' Damian's eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

The lady began to softly chuckle to herself before responding to him. 'I lovely lad like yourself can only be wandering the streets of Rome with a face etched in pain because of a hurting heart.'