I See Stars

Edit: Now with fanart at the end! 🥺💜💜

🧮🧮🧮

"A math competition?" They repeated as Gen grinned from ear to ear.

"Of course! To test the computer!"

"Oh, Sai versus Senku? I like it!" Ryusui exclaimed, a not so innocent smile on his face.

Not for the first time this week, he earned a few looks as soon as he opened his mouth. The only difference was that one was more alarmed and the other rather irritated.

Although they didn't see them when they left, both Senku and Sai noticed the mentalist's absence during the chess game. The moment they made a play they were especially proud of they looked up in search for him, only to find that he wasn't there to appreciate it.

When Gen finally returned, the food was ready and the game was far from over.

They had to declare a tie.

And shortly after Ryusui joined them, leaving little to no doubt about who had been keeping the mentalist company.

Each one drew their conclusions.

Senku suspected that this chess game had been nothing more than a distraction so that Ryusui could talk to Gen alone and convince him to go out with his brother, while Sai considered that Ryusui had been true to his word (or what he had interpreted of it) and had gone for the new object of his desires.

"And Chrome-chan, of course!"

"Me?"

"Yes!" Gen cheered, practically pushing them towards the makeshift stage where the competition would take place.

No one doubted Chrome's ability, but Gen would be lying if he said he hadn't added him as well because he hoped his presence would help to ease the tension between the other two participants at least a bit. That and that it also wouldn't be so obvious that part of this whole game was about finding out what was happening between them.

He didn't know exactly what it was. When they were working on the computer things seemed to go smoothly, at least until he came to ask some questions. It was then when Senku would begin with one of his long explanations, something that was common in him, but what was not so common was that Sai was able to follow the thread and contribute to the conversation.

Normally, that wasn't something that bothered the scientist, in fact, he was always proud when others managed to understand where he was going with his monologues, but when it came to Sai... Gen could feel some annoyance every time he saw them.

The most obvious conclusion would be that Senku was jealous that there was someone with Sai's abilities, but Gen found it hard to believe. Senku didn't envy other's abilities, on the contrary, he believed that they could all contribute to a greater goal: revive humanity.

Sure, maybe Sai was closer to what his area of ​​expertise was... but Xeno was even closer and Senku hadn't acted like that at all!

Well, the circumstances had also been different...

However, it didn't end there. It also happened during his free time.

Sai would try to talk to him and Senku would always, always be lurking around and interrupt them saying that they had this or that job to do.

Was Sai not allowed rest?

If he saw him as competition, he wouldn't be giving him more work to show off his skills; but at the same time, Senku knew very well how excited Sai was with the computer project so he doubted that he believed that their mathematician was slacking off.