Chapter 3 - Ticket

A few days later, Kuma got into some financial troubles. He just paid the month's rent which slightly went up and he got sent home again from work. And was pulling his hair out practically.

The next day he was on his way to school quite early since he slept from late afternoon onwards. Mai, Aiko, Gen, and Haru were meeting up when they stopped him.

Mai had look at his pale face and was stunned. "Kuma are you okay?" She asked worried.

"Surviving. Why do you ask?" He puzzled.

"Honey. Look here." Haru gave him her makeup mirror.

"I don't get it. Am I missing something?" He replied confused.

"You are as white as a ghost boy." Gen pointed to the obvious.

"Whatever I guess." He brushed it off.

Mai forcefully grabbed his wrist. "And you have gotten thinner. Tell me the truth and spill it now Marik." She demanded.

"I'm not sick." He mumbled.

"Have you been eating?" She smirked.

"Define that." Being vague once again.

She lightly smacked him across the face and grabbed his wrist again. "I can tell. Talk!" She snapped.

"Okay. Fine. Rent went up and after being sent home twice in a week span, I've cut back on food a bit."

"A bit? Come. Here." She dragged him off. "See you at school girls." You yelled over.

"See you then." Called Gen.

"Date?" Asked Haru.

"No way. Doubtful. Otherwise she'd stop me from trying to find him someone. C'mon. We all know Mai is stubborn and sassy but she's a good person. She's doing the right thing. And I know he appreciates it. Let's see her at school."

The trio walked off looking back with a smile.

He followed her towards a few markets. Kuma was not going to think about budging fearing the consequences. Even though they only knew each other a short time in his head knew she would put him in check. The girls thought the same.

They stopped at a bakery. It was bright, colorful, and so hard to choose. Seemed like Mai was a regular.

"Hey Mai, good morning. I see you brought a guest. What will it be today?" Asked the man at the counter.

"Takeshi this is Kuma. He's a classmate. Fatten him up and put it on my card." She smiled.

"Mai?" Gasped Kuma.

"Shut up and pick out breakfast." Demanded Mai.

"Yes Miss. Tanaka." He smiled.

After a bit of decision making, they walked out with a bag full of goods. They decided to eat and walk to school trying to politely continue the conversation.

"How's the pastries?" She asked.

"I know I'm biased because I'm really hungry, but these are heavenly." He gazed and stuffed his face.

"I gave you my number. Why didn't you call me? Shoot me a text? Something for crying out loud." She asked annoyed.

"I hate doing so." He frowned.

"How so?"

"I can't say straight out that I'm not doing well. It's just not in me. What do I do? Send a text that says I'm hungry and make you feel like crap to feel obligated?"