Chapter 8 - Preparation

Dinner was going smoothly. Everyone had a few laughs as well. Thank goodness for Kuma it wasn't a poor bastard moment of truth. He knew it too. Three things he had a hard time talking about. His past, his situation, and his choices. Much pain was indulged but it was over with quick. Simple because it hurt him too much.

"So Marik how's the stir fry?" Asked Mrs. Tanaka.

"Delicious. I can tell this is where Mai gets her cooking from."

"She's cooked for you before?"

"When we first started hanging out."

"Mother do you remember what I told you." Mai gave her a certain glare.

"I see. You're that boy."

"Wait. She told you?" Kuma was unsure Mai could speak about her, talents.

Mr. Tanaka clears his throat. "We have known of her gifts for quite some time. Me myself I'm not sure if I believe it but you're saying you were hit by a car?"

"Yes sir."

"And walked the next day no injuries."

"Correct."

"Those are the miracles I'm not supposed to believe because of my profession. But I do. Because of that. Your story reminds me of that. Keeps me levelheaded."

"Well I guess you don't believe until you have a true experience. Mai I am grateful for everything. For the accident, the girls, and helping me get back on track."

"I don't regret my choice. But you need to get it together." She smiled. No regrets. A sweet answer for him to hear.

"I work on it every day."

"You are a boy, but you aren't as stupid."

"Mai. Apologize." Ordered her mother.

"It's fine Mrs. Tanaka. It's how Mai is. She didn't mean anything from it."

"My daughter comes off a little mean."

"Yet puts boys in her place. You should see what happens when a guy tries to hit on her."

"Oh really? And what do you do to those boys? You kick'em in the stones?" Mr. Tanaka said with pride.

"No. Although I emotionally tell them off and they lose their masculine tone." Mai didn't need any help at all.

"That's my girl. Done me proud."

"It happens to me occasionally but to another guy who deserves it ahead is quite funny."

"Do I amuse you?" Asked Mai.

"Wouldn't say that's the word. I highly doubt I will understand women. Most men don't and I'm okay with that. But I will do my best. But I do know is that you are the most interesting girl I have ever crossed paths with." Kuma was speaking truth.

"Even your ex-girlfriends?"

"Two-week wonders. Give me a break. And just because you thought I was a star didn't mean I didn't respect a girl."

"Evaluate."

"Well Mai I always went for personality. Of course my teammates thought I was crazy but they were the 5:1 as me and Yuuto use it as a joke."

"5:1 ratio?" Asked Mr. Tanaka.

"Yes exactly. Has two means. Five parts makeup and one part brain. Or five parts looks to one part personality."

"That sounds awful." Gasped Mrs. Tanaka but couldn't help snicker.

"Well we had a teammate that had a pretty date, but no one liked her. We referred her as 'the bird'. We greet her and she doesn't say hello back. And we thought she was not grateful towards him. It wasn't healthy. And it started from there." He chuckled.