chapter five

LAUGHTER LINES.
chapter five.

It had been a while since Reid was in New Orleans last, but this time he wasn't here because a serial killer was roaming the streets of the French Quarter. This time he was here to face one of his greatest fears: Weddings.

The only wedding he had ever been to was when he was eight. It was his aunt's wedding. He had gone with his mom and dad, but ended up spending most of his time getting picked on by the other kids, or the older women would pinch his cheeks and tell him how cute he was.

Spencer scolded himself as he headed out to catch a taxi. He had to look forward to this experience. This was something new, and he should embrace it. He had a week's worth of clothes crammed into his small carry on. His tuxedo for the wedding was to be picked up the next day. All Spencer had to do was get to Marisa's family home.

Ethan had told Spencer a lot about the Bordeaux's. They were an old Louisiana family. Originally, they owned a plantation that was big with cotton. Over time the grounds had grown smaller, but the family still had a few successful businesses over on the river end of the family grounds. They ran a horse stable and trained multiple derby winners. Ethan worked on the grounds at the Riverview Inn as the entertainment.

Maison de Bordeaux was the actual house on the grounds, and would be where Spencer was staying. Every member of the wedding party would be at the family home. Ethan said it was an old family tradition, and Spencer had to wonder if it was really Ethan's wedding. From what he had been told, the Bordeaux family was planning everything.

There was some sort of dinner going on at the Riverview inn on the roof, and Reid really didn't want to be late, so he had to find a taxi quickly. He didn't even have time to drop his bag off. A taxi pulled to a stop in front of Reid and he quickly jumped in.

A half hour later, Reid was shuffling up to the welcome desk at the Riverview Inn, and awkwardly waited for someone to help him.

The Riverview Inn was over a hundred years old. Over the years it had been updated with better electricity. The kitchen had been completely renovated to have modern fixtures at least three times. There was free wi-fi for all hotel guests, and almost every room in the Inn had an unobstructed view of the Mississippi River.

"Spencer!" Ethan called from a few feet away.

Reid turned to find Ethan standing in an old fashioned elevator. Ethan waved him over and Reid hurried over to the elevator and waved awkwardly.

"How was your flight?" Ethan asked.

"Bumpy. We had some turbulence," Reid explained. He looked at the buttons. There were six normal floors and at the top there was a 'P' to mark the rooftop patio. Ethan patted Reid on the back.

"I'm so glad you could come," Ethan grinned.

The rooftop patio was filled with several different tables ranging from a simple two seater, or the much larger eight seaters for a large family.

"Spencer, let me take your bag. We'll have someone take it to your room at the mansion."

Ethan had gone through a dark time in his life, but Marisa changed things. Reid knew that much. He could hear it when they spoke on the phone, and he could see it in the way Ethan's face changed when he was talking about Marisa. There was a light in his voice, one that made bad things disappear from the mind. Reid suspected that this was what love felt like.