chapter eighteen

LAUGHTER LINES
chapter eighteen

Spencer Reid was a genius. This much had been established long ago, and it was never forgotten. However, there was also a certain puckish quality that only added to this obvious genius, and it only surfaced when provoked.

Well, he hadn't exactly been provoked this time around, there had been a catalyst to start the intriguing set of events over the next couple of weeks.

Morgan had been talking about basketball, of all things, and when Reid tried to talk about not only his knowledge on the subject, but all his experience in basketball, Morgan shot him down instantly. It wasn't until Morgan told Reid to join the BAU's betting pool for college basketball, that things actually started rolling. If Reid knew so much, surely he could pick a couple winners, but Morgan didn't assume that to be the case.

Clearly, Reid knew more than Morgan about the teams playing because he not only picked the winner, but he also accurately predicted who would be the main point scorers, as well as the person who made the most rebounds. Morgan realized then that Reid actually knew what he was talking about when it came to at least one sport.

Reid had planned this, of course. Morgan didn't know that the youngest member of the team had once coached a basketball team, and he was good enough to lead the high school team to the state championships, not once, but twice before his graduation. Reid thought it was a great lesson in humility for Morgan, and he made some money while he was at it. What was the harm?

Morgan wasn't happy about this, though. He had lost money on something he was sure the genius didn't know. After three rounds of wins, Morgan kicked Reid out of the betting pool, convinced that Reid had ruined the fun of it all.

Now, Morgan needed to find a way to get back at Reid for hustling him in the basketball pool. It couldn't just be any old revenge tactic. That didn't work on the profiler. The kid knew magic, so minor tricks wouldn't work. He would be able to see it. Then there was the fact that he could read micro-expressions. If the trick wasn't spotted, Reid would certainly see the anticipation on Morgan's face.

Morgan had been waiting and waiting for an opportunity to present itself. He didn't really think that such a perfect opportunity would come up. But it did. Right in front of the Slade's house. He had no clue it would be so successful, but once again, he was proven wrong.

He looked down and smirked slightly as Reid's phone kept ringing. The doctor's patience was wearing thin, just as he had planned. How many more phone calls would it take? Just for his own amusement, he hoped that it happened when he was around to see Reid blow his top. That would be the perfect moment in Morgan's eyes, and he would be sorry to miss it.

All he had to do was wait, and certainly the time would come soon.

_______________________

"Shut up," Gwen whispered while she tried to contain a smile. She didn't want to take away time from her pregnant friend. "I'll just call him later."

Jenny slid off her stool and rubbed her back before walking into the kitchen to wash their dishes. "Go ahead, but might I suggest the privacy of your own room. I might become sick if you gush over Spencer."

"Hur hur," Gwen sneered before she stood up. "You do know that there was a time when you were love struck?"

"Are you saying that you're in love?"