chapter seven

LAUGHTER LINES.
chapter seven.

Reid stood next to Ethan as the latter straightened his tie. Reid was already in his tuxedo and it made him feel uncomfortable. The suit was heavier than his normal choice of clothing, and the July humidity wasn't helping. He wanted to be back in his slacks and sweater vests. He didn't worry about his hair most days, but today he made sure that it was perfectly manicured. He didn't need Mary Lou Bordeaux chastising him if there was a strand out of place.

"So, Marisa's friend Gwen seems to have taken a liking to you," Ethan grinned. "I have to ask: what do you think about her?"

"She's weird," Spencer stated bluntly.

"Wait until I tell Marisa that you hate her best friend," Ethan laughed.

"I don't hate her!" Reid said quickly. He let out a sigh to regain his composer. "She's like Garcia. I never know what she's going to say next. She likes to tease me," he explained as he crossed his arms. It was true; Garcia and Gwen both had an affinity for teasing the young doctor.

"Spencer, everyone teases you," Ethan laughed. He turned to look at his friend. "What makes her so different?" he asked as he raised a curious eyebrow.

Reid ignored his friend as he looked at his overly formal self in the mirror. He adjusted his watch once more. It felt awkward to have it actually touching his skin instead of around the fabric of his shirt. "You need to start heading out. Marisa is going to be at the alter before you if you don't."

Ethan laughed and clapped Reid on the back. "Whatever you say doctor

______________________

"You and Spencer are getting along well," Marisa told Gwen as she applied her make-up. The Southern blond was in a simple slip knowing that she would be crazy to put her dress on before her make-up was done.

Gwen sat next to her in a white robe already done with her little make-up and working on trying to put her frizzy hair in order. She shrugged as she pulled a flat iron away from her. Her hair dropped onto her shoulder perfectly straight. After applying some hairspray she spoke. "Dr. Reid is a pretty cool guy. He gets a little flustered every time we talk though."

"That's your fault," Marisa stated matter-of-factly as she added a little bit more mascara to her eyes. "You always put people on edge with your go-get-em' attitude. You need to think about Spencer's situation. He's extremely awkward around people. Ethan said that you could barely get the kid out of his dorm back at Caltech."

"Sorry, but it's incredibly amusing," Gwen smiled as she straightened another part of her hair. "Our first night here…" she trailed off.

"What?" Marisa asked. She looked at the P.I and found that Gwen had a small smile on her face as she tamed her brown locks.

"I don't know," Gwen sighed. "We met on the balcony-"

"Sound's romantic," Marisa giggled.

"Shush," Gwen snapped childishly. "Even though he was flustered, he was… real. I like that."

"Interviewing politicians, you don't really get that. Do you?" Marisa nodded in understanding. It seemed like everyone in Washington was experienced in the art of doublespeak. She preferred it when Gwen was doing investigative pieces, but she wasn't going to say anything. She still got paid for political commentary. "When are you going to start doing investigative pieces again?" she asked.