chapter ten

LAUGHTER LINES
chapter ten

Reid sat at his desk in the bullpen. He had just finished his last report of the day and was ready to head out. He looked up when Hotch walked over holding Jack in his arms. "Hey, Reid," he greeted. Jack was hanging onto the team leader's neck as he wrapped his legs around Hotch's waist.

"Hey," Reid said as he stood up. "Hi Jack."

"Have you gotten your clothes from Gwen yet?" Hotch asked knowing full well that Reid had been putting the time off for a week. Hotch watched as Reid ducked his head down. The genius glanced around to see if anyone was listening. It wasn't a problem because most of the BAU members had left for the day not too long ago. Morgan was talking to Garcia trying to convince her to grab some dinner with him.

"I haven't had the time," Reid shrugged.

Hotch mentally sighed. It was difficult when he had to convince Jack to eat all of his vegetables, but that was easily fixed with bribes of cookies and ice cream. It seemed that getting Reid to do something probably wouldn't be as easy. Hotch was starting to think that anything less than dragging the genius to the coffee shop would get Reid to reclaim his clothes.

"Reid, you can't put it off much longer," Hotch said. "Think about who this is. From what I've heard about New Orleans, I wouldn't be surprised if she showed up at the BAU with your clothes and a cup of coffee."

Reid's head snapped up. That would be bad. Very bad. If Gwen showed up at the BAU, with his clothes, Morgan and Garcia would never let him live it down. He could try and explain to everyone what happened, but that would probably make things worse. No, Reid would have to avoid this hitting the BAU pipeline.

"I'll pick them up on my way home," Reid said as he looked down at his completed file. He would sit at his desk for a bit. Once he was confident Hotch was gone for the night, Reid would leave and head to the metro station. He would pick his clothes up in the morning and slip them into his go-bag. He had to take his bag home tonight anyway to change out the clothing with fresh shirts, pants, and mismatched socks.

"I'll give you a ride to the shop. I was going to stop any way to pick up some coffee before Jack and I head home to make Jessica a birthday cake." Hotch said with a small smile.

"Her birthday is coming up?" Reid asked realizing that it was a pretty stupid question.

"Tomorrow," Hotch nodded. "Jack and his mom made a cake for her every year, and now I'll be helping him. Jack knows exactly how it should be done. Don't you buddy?" Jack nodded quickly to answer his dad's question.

Reid was about to decline but Jack stared at him. The small boy gave him a toothy grin as he rested his head on Hotch's shoulder. He couldn't say no when Jack was there. Nobody could say no to the Hotchner smile, especially if it was on Jack's face.

Hotch knew that the young profiler was trying to say no but couldn't. This had been the team leaders plan. Jack was irresistible, and he knew it.

Reid let out a sigh of defeat. He didn't have an excuse to stay at the BAU any longer. His work was done, so he couldn't say he needed to finish. Hotch wouldn't accept anything else.

Reid reached under his desk and pulled the duffel bag he used when they traveled. He would pick up his clean clothes from Gwen, and take it all back to his condo in DC. Hotch eyed him, and he felt a little childish for putting off the deed for a week.