Chapter 10

Luke's pov
We've been running for I don't know how long and I'm exhausted.

I have good stamina with running but this coach is really crazy.
It doesn't give us even a second to breathe. And from my medical experience this is not good. At all.

I had just finished 10 laps of the field so I sit down with the others.
I was tired but fortunately not so much so I try to help those who were struggling to breathe.

But then I saw Charlie.

She wasn't talking. She wasn't even giving a sign, a look or anything.
She sat down trying to catch her breath staring at the floor, her hand on the ground as if she was helping herself to stand up.

I was about to go to her when the coach yells her last name.

"Cooper" says telling her to go there for a race.
Then he chose me to run with her, so I join her.

We start running and I have to say ... FUCK SHE'S FAST.
She must have pretty damn good stamina.

We were head to head but I couldn't stand her pace!

We were almost at the end but I knew that if I continued like this I would not be well after, so I slow down. She won and the coach congratulated us saying it was a pretty tough match, especially after the training we just had.

I wanted to go to Charlie and talk to her.
I always make fun of her, I know, but it's funny and then I find her cute!

I didn't think I would ever say this.

She is the most popular girl in school. I thought she was just a stupid girl with rich parents.
And maybe she is.
Maybe she really is a stupid girl with rich parents, but she seems to be more than that and I want to get to know her better.

I was going to her but I couldn't see her anywhere.
Then I saw a small figure in a corner and I reach for it.

"Hey Charlie, congratulations, it was a great race and you did it great" I say a little shyly.

But it looks like she wasn't listening to me.
She wasn't listening to anything.
She was trying to get somewhere and I was getting more and more confused.

She's gone within a second and I'm starting to worry.

She didn't look good.
She was pale but she had eaten little so I thought it was for that .....

Oh God. She ate nothing today.
She will pass out.

I rush into the school hallway trying to guess where she went.

She couldn't have gone that far.

I wanted to go to the girls' bathroom ... But what if someone thinks I'm just a pervert?

I do not care.
She might pass out at any moment and hit her head and I don't know what else.
"Don't panic. NO PANIC. You've seen such situations before," I tell myself.

But this time it was Charlie and I don't know why, but it hit me differently.

I walk into the bathroom feeling labored breathing and sobbing.
I could easily tell where they were coming from as they were too loud.
So I knock on the door.

....

I knock again

....

No reply.

I was really worried but suddenly someone opened the lock so that I could open the door.

I have turned white to the sight.

Lying on the ground was Charlie with one hand on her chest holding it tight for the dear life.
Tears stream down her cheeks as sobs come out of her mouth.
Her breathing was faster and he seems to have difficulty breathing. Her face was the same color as the wall behind her as she shivered.

I wake up from my thoughts and run to her.

"Hey, hey, it's alright, it's alright, I'm here, I'm here, I got you," I say trying to make her feel safe.

I take her good wrist trying to check her pulse but she pulls away from me.

"Hey, it's okay, it's okay, look" I show her my empty hands "I'm gonna help you, okay? It's gonna be okay, I need you to trust me, do you think you can do it for me?"

But she didn't respond.

"I'll hold your wrist for a minute. It's okay. Nothing bad will happen, okay?" and so she made me check her pulse which was definitely TOO HIGH.
She shouldn't even be awake at this point!

She sees the way I was thinking and tries to get away from me.

"Hey hey no alright it's alright I promise, I need you to look at me aokay? Look me in the eyes" I tell her.

She wasn't listening.
Man, she's stubborn.

"Take a deep breath for me. I need you to take a deep breath like this" I gesture taking her hand and placing it on my chest showing her what to do.

It didn't seem to help her much and I was really worried.
I couldn't do much.
I didn't have my medical bag with my fucking stethoscope, nor my phone to call for help, even though I was thinking of calling an ambulance because this is not normal.

"Charlie, hey, I need you to focus on me for a second okay? I really want to call an ambulance because this is no good" I say slowly but she doesn't even let me finish the sentence as she starts shaking her head vigorously.

Her breathing was getting faster and I didn't know what the hell was going on.

I've never seen her like this ... She's usually always so cold.

"Okay, I get it, I'm not calling anyone but now you have to relax," I say in a slightly serious tone.

This situation was really starting to scare me. Her hands gripped her chest and the tears never stopped falling.
A piece of my heart broke at that sight.

"Okay, let's try something else, okay? Why don't we lie down for a while?" I say putting my jacket under her head not wanting her to lie on the bathroom floor.

She was so vulnerable. She looks exhausted and as if she needs help.
It is so heartbreaking. I've never seen her like this.

A She lies down and I lift her legs up a bit and put them on my backpack trying to stimulate her blood circulation.
She was still holding her chest, so I take her hands in mine reminding her to keep taking deep breaths and saying words of encouragement.

She held my hands so tight.
She must be suffering a lot.
How could this be possible?

"You're doing great honey keep it up, it's alright"

It had been 20 minutes and she was slowly calming down.

I DON'T HAVE A FUCKING IDEA OF WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

But I didn't want to stress her anymore.

I know we missed the lessons. But now I didn't care.

She was starting to feel tired trying to fight her sleep. Her grip on my hands was still solid, she needed it and who knows how long.

"Hey, it's okay darling, you were amazing. Stop fighting sleep, close your eyes, I'll take care of you, I promise."
She didn't seem to focus so much on my words.
But she was exhausted, so she closed her eyes.

I take her in bridal style and while all the students were in their class I carry her in the car, starting to drive to my house.
But one thought was in my mind...
Why was she so light?