31. Sounds Like 📋

"Today was the most fun I've had not just in a long time, but also at Yellow Sand Beach," A.B. told me as we got back on the road.

I said, "We have to take another trip together."

"A longer one," he announced.

My smile was the biggest thing on my face. I wouldn't mind spending more time with A.B.

About ten minutes went by before we made a stop at an old-looking gas station. It looked abandoned, but A.B. assured me that it was operating. He went inside to pay for gas while I stayed in the car with the A/C blowing.

I turned up the volume on the radio when I heard the radio personality talking. "... artists are dropping new music nonstop this summer. That was the new single from Beyoncé. Now we're gonna play new music from Aja Frost. It samples Dr. Dre's and Tupac's 'California Love.' I'm gonna stop talking so y'all can hear it. Brand new from Aja Frost called 'Choose Love.' Right here on your number one radio station for Hip-Hop and R&B!"

It was quiet before Aja Frost sang, "ChoOoOose Love..." She sounded slightly like Zapp & Roger. Immediately, the popular beat played. After a few seconds, it paused. Aja Frost continued, "Don't make me, don't make me choose..." The beat came back on. "I've played this game before... I don't wanna play anymore... I don't wanna lose... 'Cause you mean something to me... and you do something to me... will you choose love, baby? Don't make me, don't make me choose..."

My heart was beating so hard that I could hear it over the music. I was suddenly feeling light-headed. This had to be a mistake? I quickly grabbed my phone and called Zeke. When he didn't answer, I sent him a text message. The song kept playing. This wasn't making any sense.

A.B. got in the truck after pumping the gas. He said something, but I didn't hear him. He smiled at me before turning the radio down. "You started your music playlist without me?"

I slowly looked at him. "No. It's new... a new song."

A.B. looked at me with concern in his eyes. "Jamie, are you okay? Do you need some water?" He reached in the backseat.

 "It's not me." I heard myself talk. "How is this possible?"

A.B. looked at me as if I were a math problem that he needed to solve. "Jamie, drink this?" He took the cap off the bottle of water before giving it to me.

I took a few sips before giving it back to him.

"Let me check your temperature." A.B. used the back of his hand to feel my forehead and then my cheek. "Do you feel sick?"

"Yeah," I answered.

"Okay. We're not making anymore stops. I'm going to take you straight home." A.B. asked, "Do you want to take anything? I can get you something out of this gas station?"

I pointed at the radio. "This song. Listen to it."

A.B., although confused, turned up the volume. He listened to the remainder of the song before it went off.

"That's that new Aja Frost! I already know it's a hit!" The radio personality said, "Y'all stay tuned in to your favorite radio station. We'll be back after these commercials."

A.B. turned the radio back down. He starred at me, patiently waiting for me to speak.

I was heated. I could feel the betrayal. I just didn't know how this could happen. I said, "The only person who knows that song is my manager, because I recorded it in his studio." I took a deep breath.

A.B. leaned towards me. "That was your song,? Jamie, you have to call your manager."

"I did, and he didn't answer. I cannot believe my song is on the radio, and Aja Frost is singing it." I dropped my head into the palm of my hands.

A.B. rubbed my back. "Don't stress too much. Just lay back for now until we get to East Grove. Sit up for me."

I sighed as I sat up.

He reached over me to pull the handle that would allow my seat to recline. "Is that too far?" He asked me.

I shook my head.

A.B. said he was sorry that this happened and that he would buy me a plane ticket back to L.A. if I needed one. I declined but thanked him. The rest of the drive was quiet. My mind was still running so much so that I didn't even realize we were back in East Grove.

"Can we go back to the apartment? I don't want to talk to anyone until I hear back from my manager."

A.B. drove back to my old apartment. Once inside, he went to the kitchen and came back to the living room with a hot cup of green tea. He sat it on the coffee table in front of me.

I lied down on the sofa. "Thank you, A.B."

"You're welcome. I'm going to get our bags out the truck." He walked out the door.

Right at that moment, my phone rung. I answered it before the first ring could end. "Zeke!"

"Jae, I heard it. Before your plane lands on Wednesday, it will be taken care of. Trust me," Zeke assured me.

"Zeke, how did she get my song?"

"As soon as I find out how this happened, you'll know."

I rolled my eyes. "Can't you just stop the song from playing on the radio?"

"The song's been in heavy rotation in Cali since Friday," he informed me.

And just like that, what would've been my first hit song was someone else's hit to collect. "Zeke, I'm not going back to California. I don't want to sign with Ricky, either. This is too much, and I'm really confused and hurt by all this."

"Jae, don't... Jae, this will get fixed. We're a team, remember? We're helping each other. This affects me, too. I'm going to find out how this happened, and I'll see you on Wednesday. Okay?"

Could I trust Zeke? Could this be fixed? Do I still want to be a singer? Apparently, I'm a way better songwriter. 

"Jae..." Zeke's voice was softer.

I sighed, "Okay."

"I'll see you on Wednesday." He hung up.