Part Six: Night Terrors

Fushiguro's pov

"Hmm, I don't get it.. Why did you run back then?" Sukuna questioned, before grinning smugly. "What a waste of talent.."

I glared back, my body aching immensely. Blood trickled down from my busted lip. The curse standing before me let out a small scoff in return.

Sitting up slightly, I hung my head low, now staring down at the puddles. The rain came down fairly heavy on both of us, water dripping from my hair and face.

"Whatever. Either way, that won't be enough to fix this." He then gestured to the gaping hole in his chest, blood still oozing from the open wound, the empty hole where his heart should've been. I stayed silent, allowing him to continue his nonsensical rant.

"You're risking your life over stupid shit. The brat isn't even worth that much."

Slowly, and painfully, I emerged from the muddied ground beneath me, getting back up onto my feet.

Yuji's words suddenly began echoing through my head, and I couldn't help but give a mournful smile.

"Then why did you bother saving me?!"

My mind was brought back to Tsumiki, the poor morals our society lives in. She was a good person too. She deserved happiness, more than anyone else I knew. Yuji reminded me of her in a way.

The blue, fire-like cursed energy began forming around me.

Sukuna suddenly smiled wider, a sinister grin that gave me chills.

"Nice- That's it! So this is when you start burning through your life! Now I see.." He chuckled as he started approaching me, "Well in that case.."

I narrowed my eyes as he then spread his arms out, raising his voice.

"Megumi Fushiguro- show me what you got!"

I lifted my fists up, prepared to take him on now, with the cursed energy now engulfing my entire body. I began whispering beneath my breath.

"Sacred treasure.. Swing and Ring.. Ring eight grip-"

But suddenly, the cursed energy vanished. I maintained the same position though, standing in silence in front of the King of Curses, the rain still coming down on us both.

"Just so you know.. I.." my voice trailed off for a moment, "I don't have any logical reason for saving you back then.. Even if it was dangerous, I couldn't bear to see a good person like you die." I paused a moment, before continuing.

"I did have my reservations, but ultimately, it was for selfish, emotional reasons.. That's fine though. I'm not a hero.. I'm a jujutsu sorcerer." I lowered my hands down to my sides, looking at him with a genuine smile, now noticing that Sukuna's markings were disappearing.

"So, Yuji, I've never once regretted saving you."

And right before me, I watched the markings fully fade, until they were no more.
Yuji now returned to his body, all signs of hostility had left him completely.

He immediately gave a nervous smile, scratching the back of his head and closing his eyes.

"I see.. You really are smart, Fushiguro," He turned his head away slightly, playing with some of his hair, "You've put more thought into this than I have.."

I smiled back at him, listening to what he had to say. I savored every moment I got to hear his voice. I loved hearing his voice. Through everything we'd been through together, the fondness I had for him never dissipated. But at the same time, I couldn't stand to be around him.. Not after what happened.