No More Bugaboo

Word Count: 2456
Marinette POV

     Of course, there had to be an akuma! Just as our double date was getting lovey!
     "Marinette, where are you going?" Luka asked.
      Shoot, I thought.
     "Oh, we're just going to the bathroom. It's a girl thing," Alya said, covering for me. (So, I changed my mind. Season four is prevalent, but Luka and Mari are dating and Kagami and Adrien are too. Wishmaker hasn't happened... yet! 😉)
     Alya and I rushed to the bathroom. 
     "Girl, you have to come up with excuses before you leave. I'm not going to be on all your dates!" Alya lectured me.
     I bit my lip. "I'm sorry Alya. I just... I'm running low on excuses. I've had to transform thousands of times now. It's not easy..."
      "I know that. That's why I'm here. I'll help you Marinette. How about after this I help you come up with some excuses, in case I can't be there."
     "That would definitely help. Thanks."
     "You're my best friend. Of course."
      Crash!
      "Oh right! Tikki, spots on!"
      "Trixx, let's pounce!"
      Me and Rena Furtive jumped out of the bathroom. I gave her the signal and she went to hide. I used my yoyo to get over to the villain.
     Cat Noir was already battling the... baboon zebra fish? I'd never seen such a weird looking villain. It had the head of a baboon with body of a zebra, except it had a fin in place of it's behind. Can't wait to hear this story.
      I launched into action. I used my yoyo to bring me close enough to tie him up. Cat Noir spotted me and grinned,"Hey Ladybug! Purr-fect timing!"
    I stalled. I don't know why, but something about him losing my nickname rattled me. The villain took this as an opportunity to strike. He broke free and launched me across Paris. "Ladybug!" Cat screamed.
     Luckily, I have fast reflexes. I used my yoyo to get back over there, a little farther away this time. "Lucky Charm!" I called out. "A magnifying glass? What am I supposed to do with this?"
      I looked around and suddenly, it clicked. I got to work.
     "Hey, you hairy fish! Over here!" I yelled. As soon as he did, I manipulated the light to temporarily blind him. "Cat Noir! The goggles!"
     The villain had a pair of tiny goggles on his head, or at least they looked tiny. Logically, they were probably normal human size. Did I mention he was huge?
     Cat got my message, "Cataclysm!" He striked the goggles.
     I saw the akuma. I immediately caught it. "Bye bye little butterfly! Miraculous Ladybug!"
     Cat Noir caught the victim before he hit the ground.
     I'd never seen this guy before. He looked quite young, maybe in his late twenties. He was wearing an old lab coat and the now fixed goggles on his head. His eyes were baggy, like he hadn't slept in days. His hair looked like he hadn't brushed it for a couple weeks.
     What shocked me most is the police ran over immediately and handcuffed him. "Officer Roger, what are you doing?" I yelped.
     Roger looked sad. "That's Connor Raincomprix, my son. I lost touch with him ages ago. A week ago I got news that he's wanted all over France. Apparently he was trying to make new species with illegal chemicals."
"I'm so sorry Roger." Cat said. "I can't imagine what it would be like to have to arrest your son."
    "Yeah, well, he broke the law. I have to do my job. I'm sure you can understand. I'm just worried about Sabrina."
     I didn't know what to say. Sabrina had never really been nice to me. I mean, after all, she was friends with Chloe. Then, again so was Adrien... My very good friend.
     Still, I felt bad for her. I didn't know she had a brother. I don't think Chloe, her best friend, knew of him. I wonder why Sabrina never mentioned him. Conner is a criminal. Maybe she could tell.
    "I'm so sorry Officer Roger. Sabrina will be okay. She's really strong," I exclaimed, hoping it was true.
    Officer Roger still looked glum. "Yeah, I know she's tough. But, I've caught her crying so many times... She puts up a front, but I know how much she grieves about Connor and her mom. I'm just glad she has a friend."
     If he was glad that Chloe was Sabrina's friend, then Officer Roger must really not know how horrible Chloe treats her. That just made things so much sadder. But I didn't say that. He was already at risk of being akumatized.
     Surprisingly, me and Cat said, at the same time, "I can understand how Sabrina must feel."
     What? Cat Noir didn't understand. I'm the one who has to put up a front all the time. I'm the guardian and the only one who can purify akumas. Ladybug holds all these responsibilities. Cat didn't get it.
     I mean, he couldn't, right? He was always so full of joy, to the point where it made him a bit full of it. I'd grown to love that about him. Was it all a mask to his real feelings?
     I'd have to ask about it later, because my earring started beeping a second time.
     "We have to go. Stay safe Officer Roger!"
     "Bye Ladybug and Cat Noir!" Officer Roger exclaimed as we launched away.
     I turned to Cat. "I need to talk to you."
     "But we're about to transform back!" Cat Noir said.
     "Then we'll go to the sewers and detransform."
     "Okay. If you say so Ladybug."
     I stumbled. I don't know what it was. Something about the fact he wasn't calling me "Bugaboo" or "M'lady" got to me. Just another thing to ask about.