єριѕσ∂є 59

Taehyung sat in hospital overnight while Seokjin was still in sleep. During his sleep, it seemed the doctor was about to make some sort of conclusive declaration through his prevarication.

Taehyung didn't listen. "Sorry, I am also a doctor." Both of them knew what he meant. He didn't need the truth, all he wanted to hear was good news. He wasn't deceiving himself, he simply wanted to ease his pain.

Taehyung entered the ward to check Seokjin up a few times but he didn't dare to touch him. Nor he sentimentally poured his feelings out. He just wanted to look at this man's face, wondering why he was so pale and how much pain a man's heart could take. Is this world so cruel that it must torture this fine man for fun?

5 a.m., Taehyung was in light sleep alone on the hospital hallway bench. His cellphone's constant buzzes suddenly woke him up.

It was a strange number.

"Hello, who's talking?" His voice was hoarse.

"It's me, Jeon Jungkook," There came a deep and sedate voice with a touch of unusual humbleness, "Please don't hang up."

Taehyung sneered, "What do you want, President Jeon?"

Jungkook coughed before he caught his breath. "I'm calling to beg you." His voice sounded weak.

This was the word he rarely said throughout his life. He was a proud man, he grew up with that arrogance. Even when toasting important figures on tables at his humblest moment, he still kept up his appearances. He said the word though, to Seokjin, like a compromise that meant to spoil him, not forced at not.

An unyielding man's begging is even more surprising.

"You give him back to me, and you can take whatever you want from me. Your brother has been thinking a lot about his new project for a long time, I can give up my shares if there's too much trouble," He paused and coughed again, "For Seokjin, I'll get him the best expert in Seoul and the most advanced equipment, better than what he's got at Busan..."

"Do you think my family are lacking and in need of your money?" Taehyung interrupted him rudely, eyes all red, "Do you think I can't give him the best medical resources?

When you were sick of him, you didn't give a fuck about him, leaving him to perish by himself. Now you suddenly want him back again? Do you think you are the center of the world?" He chuckled.

After the long silence on the other side of the phone, a surprisingly aged sorrowful voice came to his ear, "I love him so much, I can't live without him..." Maintaining his dignity in the conversation with his lover rival didn't matter anymore to Jungkook, "I know I screwed up."

Looking at the cold, snow-white wall in the hospital suffused the strong smell of disinfectant, Taehyung felt more and more despair. "You screwed up. You are now making amends. You've figured out your true love. And then what? You think he is willing to go with you and like that his disease will get better? Do you honestly think you are a wizard that can cure everyone and do what you want after that? If you were earnest and telling me that you had found the bone marrows that match Seokjin, I would immediately drive 14 hours straight to send him to Seoul. But you can't."

Taehyung suddenly lowered his voice and started to choke. "and if you can't do it... I can't do it either," He said, "I traded my dignity for the bone marrows that matches Seokjin, but that Lee's son took them away effortlessly because he is the son of the mayor. If you really more powerful, go bring the bone marrow back for him!"

Jungkook didn't even realize Taehyung hung up the phone. For a moment, he thought he was a fish, the fish tank crashed so there he waited to be dried. His brain was so in need of oxygen that it was now in chaos. He didn't have a clue.

He always remembered that day he came home in a weirdly good mood, which was the same day he hit Seokjin the hardest. More flashbacks, what was he fucking happy about that day? Right, the mayor's son's lover had the chance to survive, the mayor's son helped him nail the bids.

That was it.

This kind of coincidence is funny and pathetic at the same time.

Jungkook collapsed on the sofa as if all of his strength was drained up, his chest went up and down hard. The cramps surged yet he didn't reach to his pills. He let himself tremble in agony, let his eyes blur.

He was always happy about the wrong things, enthusiastic about the wrong things, and gave the wrong things cold shoulder.

.
.
.

Taehyung hung up. He felt waves and waves of headaches. He had kept up for two days, Jungkook's call just made him more tired. He didn't just rip off that bastard's scab, he deepened the cut on his own heart.

He took a look at his watch, it was half past five. He decided to make the call now in case of the inconvenience when Seokjin's awake.

"What?" A fuzzy and light snort. Taehyung had interrupted a heavy sleep.

"Hyung, it's me..." Taehyung thought he'd better give his brother a call since Jungkook would surely contact his brother after getting a refusal from him.

"Tae?" Namjoon kept a low voice. It loudened more than ten seconds later, probably he was out of his bedroom, "I got two phone calls in such an early morning. Your sister in-law is a light sleeper. She was disturbed twice."

"Sorry, hyung... I just want to ask you if Jungkook is trying to reach out to you..."

"Oh by the way, my wife's pregnant." Namjoom cut him off, "We went to the hospital two days ago. A boy and a girl. Dad and mom are super happy so they are so easy on me now. They said they will stop pushing you to give them a grandchildren either."

Taehyung immediately understood what he meant. He felt warm inside. "Hyung, thanks..." He reckoned his brother had got Jungkook's call before he called him but he kept his mouth shut about that part.

"Tae, just be good. I got our family's back. I have quite a few regrets, I just wish you to be happy," Namjoon said to him gently, "Just remember, I'm always there for you. You are always the most important person to me."

Taehyung hung up the phone and rubbed his bloodshot eyes hard. The call was heartwarming. He thought, ‘Good, finally I could be at ease. Seokjin and I could probably enjoy a rather long peaceful time.’