Chapter 7

Heartburn

***

One evening, Minho had asked Jeongin to come over to his house. The younger boy had already come there, for dinner, sometimes tea, and even lunch. But this time, Minho had asked him to stay for the night. The truth was that Minho was feeling insecure and scared. Despite how loving Hyunjin was, Minho felt like something was off, and it was making him very anxious.

After dinner, the boys went to Minho's bedroom, and got ready for the night.

"Jeongin," Minho called from his bed. Jeongin looked up from his mattress towards Minho who straightened up, and sat up on his bed. "Do you mind coming here?" He patted the spot next to him.

"Of course, hyung." Jeongin smiled. He got up and walked to the bed, and sat there. Minho lifted the blanket, silently asking Jeongin to come closer, which the younger boy did. "What's wrong, hyung?"

Minho fiddled with his fingers, looking down at them, his bottom lip starting to slightly quiver. Jeongin noticed, and rested his hand on Minho's. "I think…" Minho tried, but his voice broke a little.

"What are you thinking, hyung?" Jeongin gently said.

Minho sniffled, and his eyebrows joined. "I think Hyunjin did something bad…"

"What do you mean?" Jeongin asked, softly stroking Minho's hand.

"He's being too nice… He looks guilty most of the time…," Minho finally said. He paused, and let out a few breaths. "I'm scared," he whispered. Minho was trying to hold his tears back, his eyebrows knitted together, his lips curving downwards, his chin slightly quivering, and his eyes blurry as they filled with tears. Jeongin felt his heart clench. He wrapped his arm around Minho's shoulder, and pulled him closer.

"Hyung," he said softly. "Whatever happens, I'm here." Minho nodded, his eyes still on his hands, his throat becoming more and more painful because of the sob he was suppressing. He couldn't utter a word. "Let's sleep, hyung. You're tired, you haven't slept a lot these days, and you're overworking yourself. Come, lie down." Jeongin continued. He gently helped Minho lie down, and lied next to him before wrapping his arms around Minho's waist, hugging him from behind, in a protective manner. Minho squeezed his eyes shut, and tears started running down his cheeks. Jeongin furrowed his eyebrows, and an expression of worry slowly took over his delicate features. He tightened his hug, and pressed his head against Minho's back, then left a soft kiss there. "Don't cry, hyung," the younger boy whispered. "Don't cry…"

The two boys slowly drifted off to sleep, Minho soon worn out after crying, and Jeongin finally feeling relieved when he heard Minho's breathing getting even, sometimes cut by a soft hiccup or sigh.

Two days later, Jeongin was happily walking to his locker, surrounded by his friends, and was on his way to see Minho and Hyunjin. He closed his locker, and was startled when he saw Felix, standing there, looking like a lost puppy, as he kept checking his surroundings. Jeongin rolled his eyes.

"Now what, Felix hyung," he mumbled. "You really won't leave me alone will you?"

"Jeongin," Felix breathed, his gaze on the younger boy for a moment, before drifting towards the left, then the right, then back to the boy. "Please, this is urgent. I know you don't want to talk to me, but please, spare me a minute. This is about Minho and Hyunjin…"

At the mention of Minho's name, Jeongin frowned. "What is it?"

"I can't tell you here, you have to come with me."

"No. Nice try, hyung, I'm not following you anywhere-"

"Jeongin, someone is trying to sabotage Hyunjin and Minho. They have something that could destroy them. I managed to get it, and… ah… I don't know how to say this, I feel terrible…," Felix said. He looked very worried, and he scratched the back of his head, as he bit his lip.