HOPE

"Call me selfish; call me what you like; I think it's right.

To want someone for all your own

And not to share her love.

'Cuz I'll have my way, you won't have a say anyway

'Cuz I got you,

You don't stand a chance.

So now you wait for his spark.

You know it'll turn you on.

He's gonna make you feel.

The way you wanna feel.

When he starts to lie.

When it makes you cry

You know I'll be there.

My day will come

I know someday I'll be the only one."

Hope

The Descendents

"Pop, I need to leave Sofi's car.  It would probably be better for her if it could sit in the garage."

Martin looked at me surprised, not the Medellin death stare he had once given me but a look of surprise.  Still, he said nothing.

"It's a convertible.  If it doesn't make any difference, it would be better to keep it inside until she comes home.  It's also got her clothes inside.  I laid the seats down and packed them up in totes.  Everything's clean, and everything's well accounted for, I guess.

He blinks, slowly blinks, and finally placement of the hand under his chin.  That was a sure sign he was at least listening and about to render judgment.

There was a moment more of silence, then finally, "You don't look so good."

"Thanks.  Yeah, I don't feel so good either."

"Are you sure you want to do this?" 

I was tired, dead tired as usual, and talking to Martin was about the last thing I had in mind for the day.  I just wanted this to be as painless as possible; I wanted something with this process to be effortless.  Martin wasn't going to let that happen. 

"No, Pop, I don't want to do this, but  I can't have her car in the garage anymore.  It's a small house with a one-car garage, and I'm going to have to do some heavy-duty repairs to the Landcruiser.  I don't want anything to happen to the car.  She really likes it."

"Is that it?"

"Well, what the hell do you want me to say?" 

Martin released his chin from his thinking grip.

"I want you to tell me if this is really what you want to do."

"Then my answer is no.  No, I don't, but it's best for her."

"What about when she comes home?" he interjected quickly. 

"Pop, if she comes home," I said in air quotations, " she won't be coming home to me or my house.  She will be coming back here.  She's going to need her car.   She's going to need her clothes too."